Suggestion: unlock 1Password X with app instead of Master Password

Would that be possible in a future release?

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• kaitlyn
    kaitlyn
    1Password Alumni

Hi @maartenN! 👋

Thanks for reaching out. Are you referring to unlocking 1Password X with the 1Password desktop app or another app? I'm not sure I fully understand your request, so I wanted to clarify that first. Also, which platform are you using? I don't see any of that info listed in your original post, but it'll help me determine what to suggest for you.

• maartenN
    maartenN
    Community Member

Hi. I was referring to the password x extension (eg chrome). Would it not be safer and more user friendly to unlock this extension with an (Authenticator) app on a mobile device in stead of using your master password. Maybe the 1Password app can be used for this..?

• kaitlyn
    kaitlyn
    1Password Alumni
    edited May 2020

I see what you're saying! I'm honestly not sure that would ever be possible, but I'd be happy to pass along your suggestion. :)

ref: dev/projects/customer-feature-requests#25

• nizanator
    nizanator
    Community Member

This is actually a great suggestion if its possible - When i first made my account I made my password deliberately difficult

But now thinking of making it easier / shorter just because I have to type it in every day which is a bit of a pain

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

Thank you for your feedback on this too @nizanator :+1: :)

• gadget78
    gadget78
    Community Member

yes i think this is the only put off from people i suggest using a manager... is using a long secure password, but also having it so you can remember it, as it is needed to be inputting in so much ...

BUT the solution i give is this, IF and only IF you trust your 'main' pc then you can extend the 'lock' time to MUCH longer, and if you dont switch it off of course..it can be for days .....
    and if its on your phone, use the fingerprint etc ...

but other than that, its no different that having to put in your password in if you didnt have a manager !!

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

@gadget78:

but other than that, its no different that having to put in your password in if you didnt have a manager !!

Indeed :+1:

We also recommend using a word-based password so it's at the same time strong and easy to type:

How to choose a good Master Password

This discussion has been closed.