Using windows hello to unlock 1password

Options

I changed from the old browser addin to 1password X and am surprised that I have to type in my master password all the time instead of unblocking via windows hello. Is this really necessary? Is there a way to use hello as it was in the previous version?

Thanks

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: 1.19
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• kaitlyn
    kaitlyn
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @Astropilot! Welcome to the forum.

I’ll explain a bit about 1Password X, since that seems to be the main issue here. 1Password X is an extension that operates solely inside the browser. That means that it doesn’t communicate with the 1Password for Windows desktop app and each time you fully close your browser, it also closes 1Password X, and therefore locks it. If you’re not a fan of that behavior, we do offer a desktop-dependent 1Password extension that will have a similar user interface as the 1Password for Windows desktop app. They go hand in hand, so when you unlock the desktop app, the 1Password extension will also be unlocked. If you’d like to give it a try, you can install it here. You can also use Windows Hello to unlock the 1Password desktop app.

For some extra information, we’re currently testing how we can have 1Password X and the 1Password for Mac app communicate with each other. It’s still in the beta phase at the moment, but I’d expect us to bring the technology to Windows once we have everything on the Mac side of things hashed out. It’s something to look forward to in the future, but the 1Password extension may be a better option for you in the meantime if unlocking 1Password X upon every browser session is bothering you.

• Astropilot
    Astropilot
    Community Member
    Options

Thanks @kaitlyn,
    In fact I had the other extension installed and changed to 1password X because I thought it was more up to date and would add features. Another thing I am missing in 1password x is to be able to configure the way the passwords are created. That works also extremely well in the other extension. Maybe you could consider adding more configuration options for password creation to 1password x.
    Thanks again and regards

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@Astropilot:

You can access the password generator in 1Password X as well, which allows you to customize the way that passwords are generated. You can reach it by clicking on the big "+" button in 1Password X, and selecting Password Generator :)

This discussion has been closed.