iCloud sync on by default b42

thightower
thightower
Community Member
edited December 2012 in iOS
From the just released beta 42 notes:

"Now automatically enabling iCloud syncing during setup if it is available."

I do not want my data in iCloud. I still don't trust it. Am I mistaken in how this reads.

Off should be the default and only enabled if the user wishes.

Or is this referring to if it scans and finds data already present in iCloud Even if thats the case what happens if there is corrupted or severely outdated data in iCloud and you pull it back to the device. Especially true if you are using iCloud and Dropbox syncing. It should be off by default IMHO. Till the user can decide what to do.

Honestly I can see both sides of the equation. I hope there is a built in mechanism if the data is outdated etc to notify the user etc.

Comments

• golfsierra
    golfsierra
    Community Member
    Hi thightower,

this was already discussed here ... [font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]it's not a bug it's a feature [/font] :)
    http://forum.agilebits.com/index.php?/topic/11210-deleting-data-on-device-not-possible-b29/page__fromsearch__1
  • thightower
    thightower
    Community Member
    Thanks for the link :)

Think thats why I missed it being labeled as b29, lol
  • Hi Tommy,

What this meant was that iCloud will automatically be used if the data is available on the device. The way iCloud works is that iOS handles the data transfers automatically in the background (no apps need to be opened), and in 1Password, there's no network activity involved, it merely reads the private iCloud documents folder created for 1Password only and writes to this folder as needed. When writes are done, iOS will start pushing it to the iCloud severs.

So, when you install 1Password for the first time, it should be able to check if the data is available from iCloud and if yes, skip the setup process and uses that data while enabling the iCloud data after it finishes reading the data from iCloud.

I hope that helps!
This discussion has been closed.