Old Bug? /var folder containing unencrypted attachments does not disappear after locking app

Options
rumorconsumer
rumorconsumer
Community Member

Hello!

Tracked down this forum post - https://discussions.agilebits.com/discussion/75397/attachment-not-encrypted-stored-in-1password-vault
(I think I know the OP IRL which is funny).

I am having this issue now and the folder doesn't go away when I quit the app or when I lock the app. Thoughts?

1Password Version: 1Password 7 Version 7.5 (70500002) Mac App Store
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: 10.14.4
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• Ben
    Options

Hi @rumorconsumer

I am having this issue now and the folder doesn't go away when I quit the app or when I lock the app. Thoughts?

I tried reproducing this with the latest stable version of 1Password (7.5) from our website and was unable to. But I noticed you're using the version from the Mac App Store, so I installed that version and also tried there, on the chance that something odd was happening with that build. I'm not seeing anything out of order there either. I even tried opening one of the files in a 3rd party utility (a PDF using Preview to be specific) so that the file would be "in use" when 1Password locked and 1Password still deleted it.

Could you please walk me through the steps you're taking that result in seeing this?

(I think I know the OP IRL which is funny).

Small world. :)

Ben

• rumorconsumer
    rumorconsumer
    Community Member
    Options

Hey Ben! Thanks for your reply. Looking back at /var now it looks like it expunged. But it hung around for at least 24 hours between locks and relaunches. Seems ok now. Thank you for your attention

• Ben
    Options

Thanks @rumorconsumer. In my testing it was cleared as soon as I locked 1Password, so if you're seeing otherwise we'll definitely want to investigate further. If you notice it happening again please try to note the circumstances so we can hopefully track down what the deal is. :)

Ben

• rumorconsumer
    rumorconsumer
    Community Member
    edited May 2020
    Options

Hey Ben... Here is a screen shot. The app has been closed for about 1 minute and the folder and its contents, the front of one of my credit cards, still remains. I can successfully preview the jpg.

Update - 4 minutes later same result.

I quit and reopened the app several times. Same result. I locked the app, and the items immediately disappeared. I understand now this is expected behavior I control through the security prefs. Thanks for your time.

• Ben
    Options

Yep - 1Password has to be locked in order to remove them, so that makes sense. Thanks for the update. :)

Ben

This discussion has been closed.