Unlock Animation Terrible - Disability/Accessibility Concern - Also "Annoying"

Options
jasmer
jasmer
Community Member

For many many years, many people have requested an option to turn off animation in 1Password from browsers, mini, macOS and Windows native apps as well as iOS and Android.

• 2013 was the first time I discussed this with the designer Dan V Peterson @danvpeterson . (I fully understand he loves animation. Fortunately, years later, he finally took the advice I gave him in 2013 and redesigned the overcomplicated icons, thank you Dan!)

• 2017 I discussed it with Michael Fey @MrRooni

• HERE a disability/accessibility concern was raised...
    "Section 508 is an amendment to the Rehabilitation Act that requires federal departments and agencies to make their websites (and other “electronic and information technology”) accessible to persons with disabilities." "That is why reduced motion is in the softwares and websites, browsers, OSes etc." @SAHDaehriu23

I feel I need to be direct here. With all the sincerity and love in my heart, it sucked in 2013, it sucked in 2017 and it sucks now. Please just add one box or radio button to disable it or, if you think it's too earthshatteringly complex to implement the option to disable, as many other app devs do, please just disable it completely.

Below, do you notice how many times you see the words "ANNOYING" and "SLOW"? Even "TORTURE" is used...

• HERE
  • "Dam, it's quite annoying" "(I just find it annoying)... superfluous animations can cause issues for some people:" @craig_francis

• HERE "I am struck by the slowness with which 1Password pops up and unlocks. It never struck me until I spent three days updating account passwords, making the beautiful and whimsical unlock animation seem like torture… " @Deleted User

• HERE "Can you offer a way to turn off the animations? I feel like half my time spent looking things up in 1password is just waiting for the unlock animation." @Kaveh

• HERE "on my mac the animation currently seems to be a bit janky. It's a bit slow/delayed" @onodera3

• HERE "I can no longer find the option to disable the browser autofill animations? I do not like them. I find them quite annoying." @rekkss

• HERE "One thing that I find frustrating is the response time for startup, unlock and input filling." @Scientifik

• HERE "animation is a bit annoying when you switch back and forth from 1PW to other apps" @telephoneman

• HERE "Feels like a slowdown that I just don't need." @Vexir

• HERE "after doing this many times per day, it starts to get grating" @hotpancakes

• HERE "Takes a while for this whole SAME PROCESS !!!" @RicFR

• HERE "Ugh, really? Can we bring this back? It's always one of the first things I disabled." @Raunien

• HERE "it’s something that has bugged me for years and I have to get it off my chest" @SSteve

• HERE "The unlocking animation using FaceID on iPhone X feels really long. Every time I unlock the phone, it feels fast, but unlocking your app feels slow" @harperlieblich

• HERE "if you're in a rush it feels like forever" @johnclay

AND ON AND ON AND ON...

Note: @brenty I understand you said HERE "But keep in mind that this isn't just superficial fluff. 1Password does need to decrypt your data in order to be able to display something when you unlock (or allow you to search). So while this has certainly gotten faster for many of us over time with newer hardware, it cannot be instantaneous no matter what."

Understood. However, I also use Dashlane and it doesn't have this problem. So most of it is fluff.

Please don't respond with "It's something we'll continue to evaluate". We've heard it for years. It sucks, please just remove it. This animation serves zero functionality.

Thank you for all of your hard work other than this issue.

Gracias

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• Ben
    Options

Hi @jasmer

Thanks for taking the time to register for an account here on the support forum to share your feedback. I'm sorry to say but I'm not aware of any plans to change this. I understand that is frustrating. We say things like "we'll continue to evaluate" because there are millions of customers using 1Password at this point. We do our best to account for all of them when making design choices. We take a look at all of the feedback we receive from customers across various channels, work that into our own thoughts, and then make the best decision we feel we can from there. We do continue to monitor for additional feedback, because often times there is room for flexibility. Software isn't generally written into stone. But there is a fairly high threshold that has to be met for us to reverse a decision. It does happen — for example we basically completely re-designed the 1Password mini interface that was shipped in 1Password 7.0 based on customer feedback. Sometimes our initial thinking is wrong, and we're not too big to admit that. But we haven't reached that threshold here. So, I know you asked that I not say it, but we will indeed continue to monitor what customers have to say about this and consider if we're still on the right path or not. For now, we still believe we are.

I always try to encourage people to make their decisions based on what is available now, vs what might be available in the future, and I'd have to do the same here. Thank you for the feedback on this, and again I apologize for the frustration. I understand it isn't what you wanted to hear.

Ben

P.S. We'd respectfully request that you avoid tagging (@ mentioning) multiple 1Password Team Members or other customers in a post, and also avoid using language like "sucks." This is a family friendly forum. Thanks!

ref: dev/apple/issues#1673

This discussion has been closed.