store Master Password in 1Password?

J_schwinn
J_schwinn
Community Member

Would you (or do you) store your Master Password in 1Password to allow for TouchID to access your account in case you forget your Master Password? Same question for the entire Emergency Kit with the Master Password filled out. With the exception of a government requiring access, is TouchID secure enough to protect 1P?

It seems like it could be a bad mistake, although I don't know why... it just feels wrong :)

But I've read a couple threads that imply that this is an OK thing to do. I wouldn't rely upon this solely and I'd store the Emergency Kit on paper elsewhere (paper) so this would just be for convenience. Am I creating any cracks in the armor by storing all the keys within 1P?

thank you

1Password Version: 7.5
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided
Referrer: forum-search:store Master Password in 1Password

Comments

• jamieloaldff
    jamieloaldff
    Community Member

It is stored by default. Click on the 'Starter kit' tag, and you'll see it there.

• @J_schwinn

With the exception of a government requiring access, is TouchID secure enough to protect 1P?

There are two resources I would point out that should help in addressing this question:

1. About Touch ID security in 1Password for Mac
    2. Information for law enforcement

Am I creating any cracks in the armor by storing all the keys within 1P?

The only I'm aware of would be someone forcing you to use your fingerprint to unlock with Touch ID and then being able to discover your Master Password... but at that point you have bigger issues. :)

It is stored by default. Click on the 'Starter kit' tag, and you'll see it there.

Yes indeed. :)

Ben

• J_schwinn
    J_schwinn
    Community Member
    edited May 2020
    • It is stored by default. Click on the 'Starter kit' tag, and you'll see it there.

It is there, thanks!

I setup the account but have been using the standalone vault while I clean up the old password database so I missed it.

• .. but at that point you have bigger issues.

Yup, that would be a bad day, or a very interesting one. :)

• :+1: :)

Ben

This discussion has been closed.