Transferring 1Password for use with "Safari Technology Preview" rather than standard "Safari"

Options
carlcaulkett
carlcaulkett
Community Member
  • macOS 10.14.6 Mojave
  • 1Password 7 Version 7.5 (70500003)
  • Safari Version 12.1.2 (14607.3.9)
  • Safari Technology Preview Release 106 (Safari 13.2, WebKit 14610.1.12.2)

I am trying to switch my operations to Safari Technology Preview (STP) in preference to the default Safari (S def). Even though the 1Password extension appears to be present in STP, and I have set STP to be the default system browser in System Preferences, I am unable to activate 1Password with the usual Cmd \ shortcut, and indeed, if I do the Opt-Cmd \ shortcut, it tries to fire up the S def. As you may know, it is pretty much impossible to delete the standard version of Safari from macOS, so how can I get 1Password to direct all its actions on STP?

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• carlcaulkett
    carlcaulkett
    Community Member
    edited May 2020
    Options

I've tried going into the Preferences in S def and disabling the 1Password extension and ensuring that it is enabled in STP. It doesn't make any difference. Cmd \ and Opt Cmd \ still have no effect. I am having to launch 1Password manually and copy/paste the passwords manually.

I case you're wondering why I am so fixated with Safari Technology Preview, it is because I had some serious security concerns with the standard version of Safari!

• carlcaulkett
    carlcaulkett
    Community Member
    Options

I went through the steps outlined at https://discussions.agilebits.com/discussion/comment/551689/#Comment_551689 and it seems to have worked 😀

• Ben
    Options

Thanks for the update @carlcaulkett. I'm glad to hear that worked. :)

Ben

• carlcaulkett
    carlcaulkett
    Community Member
    Options

I spoke too soon. Although it worked on one test site that I visited, the Cmd \ and Opt Cmd \ shortcuts do not seem to work consistently. For instance when logging into this forum, just now, I still had to open 1P manually and do the old copy/paste...

• carlcaulkett
    carlcaulkett
    Community Member
    Options

It seems to be consistent in its inconsistency! The page at https://sso.bitwig.com/login?service=https://www.bitwig.com/en/account/profile.html works every time, yet the login page at this forum doesn't 🙃

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@carlcaulkett:

What happens exactly when you use the Cmd+\ keyboard shortcut on this forum, for example?

• carlcaulkett
    carlcaulkett
    Community Member
    Options

Nothing at all, as far as I can tell.

• carlcaulkett
    carlcaulkett
    Community Member
    Options

On the other page I mentioned, the Cmd+\ shortcut works, but the Opt+Cmd+\ shortcut doesn't.

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@carlcaulkett:

Opt+Cmd+\ is a system wide shortcut, so it's independent from the specific website you are visiting. It should work everywhere. Do you have any other apps on your system that are using the same shortcut perhaps?

• carlcaulkett
    carlcaulkett
    Community Member
    Options

I do have KeyboardMaestro running, but none of the macros there use this particular shortcut. Besides, 1P with both shortcuts was working perfectly with 99% of websites before I attempted to get it working with Safari Technology Preview.

• carlcaulkett
    carlcaulkett
    Community Member
    edited May 2020
    Options

I've just switched back to the default Safari, and everything is working perfectly again. There is clearly a compatibility issue with Safari Technology Preview. I'm just hoping that the security issues I mentioned in my initial post don't come back to bite me! https://apple.stackexchange.com/questions/392413/random-audio-coming-from-safari-in-macos-10-14-6?noredirect=1#comment538759_392413

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@carlcaulkett:

Thank you for the update. I am glad to hear that issues went away when you switched back to regular Safari. We will keep an eye out for similar reports :+1:

• TomD
    TomD
    Community Member
    Options

I am trying use 1P (1Password 7 Version 7.6.BETA-0 (70600000)
    1Password Beta) with the latest Safari Technology Preview (Release 107 (Safari 13.2, WebKit 15610.1.14.1).

I have STP set as default browser.

The 1P button on Safari doesn't work.

If I hit cmd / the app says to turn on the extension within Safari. I have tried enabling & turning it off. I have restarted both the computer & Safari.

I have also tried reinstalling 1P.

Any advice other than just stop using STP.

• carlcaulkett
    carlcaulkett
    Community Member
    Options

@TomD It looks like STP just isn't going to work for the time being. It's weird when I went through the reinstall steps and tried it, I found that the Cmd \ shortcut worked on one site but no others, and then it seemed to stop working on that site as well.

• vplewis
    vplewis
    Community Member
    Options

@TomD @carlcaulkett STP 107 and 1Password 7.6.Beta-0 work for me as expected. You might want to try a reboot of the computer.hth

• carlcaulkett
    carlcaulkett
    Community Member
    Options

@vplewis I've just upgraded to STP 107 and at first glance, it seems to work as expected with 1P 7.5.

It gave me a bit of a fright when STP tried to update itself, I had to cancel the operation because there is no way on earth that I want to upgrade to Catalina, just yet, and anything that looks remotely like an auto-update by macOS scares me witless 😮

I downloaded the installer from https://developer.apple.com/safari/download/ instead. Much safer 😀

Thanks for the heads up!

• Ben
    Options

Thanks for the update. :)

Ben

• TomD
    TomD
    Community Member
    Options

As I have written, I have restarted my computer, as well as STP, multiple times.

• rudy
    Options

@TomD,

are you on Catalina? if not, is your system installed Safari version 13?

• TomD
    TomD
    Community Member
    Options

Yes. I am running 10.15.5 & Safari 13.1.1 (15609.2.9.1.2)

• carlcaulkett
    carlcaulkett
    Community Member
    Options

Aargh! This is getting irksome! STP 107 + 1P 7.5 seemed to be working okay. Then, suddenly it stopped working. I then installed 1P7.6b0, and restarted STP 107 to ensure that the 1P7.6b0 extension was loaded. It's not working at all now. I've had to swap between S def and STP 107 3 times today.

@vplewis I'll try rebooting the computer...

• carlcaulkett
    carlcaulkett
    Community Member
    edited May 2020
    Options

I rebooted the computer. I tried logging out and logging back in at https://sso.bitwig.com/login?service=https://www.bitwig.com/en/account/profile.html. That worked the first time. All subsequent attempts failed. I then tried logging out and logging back in to Twitter. That failed from the start. I suspect that if I had tried Twitter as the first thing I tried, then that would have worked for one time only, and then failed for all other attempts at any website.

In other words what it looks like is that the first attempt to use the Cmd+\ shortcut works, but then breaks something such that all subsequent attempts to use it fail.

@vplewis What version of macOS are you using? Because, otherwise, our systems would now appear to be identical, yet your's apparenttly works and mine doesn't. This strikes me as grossly unfair ;-)

• carlcaulkett
    carlcaulkett
    Community Member
    edited May 2020
    Options

I rebooted the computer. I then tried logging out and then back in again at https://sso.bitwig.com/login?service=https://www.bitwig.com/en/account/profile.html. This worked the first time I tried it but failed on all subsequent attempts. I then tried logging out then back in at Twitter. This failed from the start.

I suspect, though haven't yet tested. that if the first website I had tried had been Twitter, then that would have worked one time and then failed on subsequent attempts.

In other words, what I suspect is happening is that the first time that one attempts to use the Cmd+\ shortcut, it works whatever the website, but in doing that, something breaks such that all subsequent attempts fail.

@vplewis What version of macOS are you using, because in all other respects our systems would seem to be identical. Yet your's works but mine doesn't. This strikes me as grossly unfair ;-)

• carlcaulkett
    carlcaulkett
    Community Member
    Options

I will conduct further tests tomorrow, but it is 20 minutes to 1 in the morning here in the UK, but I am cheesed off and would welcome the sweet release of sleep.

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@carlcaulkett:

I would like to ask you to generate a diagnostics report from your Mac and email it to us to support+forum@agilebits.com, so we can take a closer look at why this is happening to you.

After you have sent the email, please feel free to post the ticket number you received so we can locate your message and connect it with this forum discussion.

Looking forward to your message!

• carlcaulkett
    carlcaulkett
    Community Member
    edited May 2020
    Options

Hi, @ag_ana I have generated the report "1PasswordDiagnostics-Mac-Pro-2020-05-30_08-56". I cannot find a ticket number, so hopefully, the filename is exact enough to connect the issue. I've just this minute sent the report to you at 09:22am BST 2020-05-30.

I've attempted to cross-reference the email back to this thread.

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@carlcaulkett:

Thank you! I confirm that I have managed to locate your diagnostics report in our system :+1: We will take a look at it and someone will get back to your email as soon as possible.

Thank you for your patience!

ref: DHT-66154-261

• vplewis
    vplewis
    Community Member
    Options

@carlcaulkett I'm having no problems at all with STP 107 on macOS 10.15.5 (stable release 19F96). I also only have 1 extension in addition to 1Password. I have a Mojave portion around here somewhere I can check this out on if you'd like me to. hth

• vplewis
    vplewis
    Community Member
    Options

@carlcaulkett Just loaded Mojave (18G5033) and downloaded STP 107 in System Prefs (you don't need to have auto update turned on to download individual files, btw). Traveled a little bit around my corner of the internet, logging in and out using CMD-\ while 1Password 7.6 Beta-0 was open and unlocked (my usual MO). This is a pretty clean system, so I wouldn't expect any glitches—and didn't find any. Only difference I can see between my system and yours is that you cancelled the STP download and then downloaded it from the Dev site. All this on a 2018 MacMini, if that helps. I have macOS 10.15.5/STP 107/1Password 7.6 Beta-0 loaded and running on a 2012 MBA as well. a bit slow, but otherwise no problem there either. hth

• carlcaulkett
    carlcaulkett
    Community Member
    Options

@vplewis Thanks for your efforts! I think I'll wait until 1P has a chance to look at my diagnostics report. My Mac is a little bit more exotic. It's a Mac Pro (early 2009) which has had its firmware flashed from 4,1 to 5,1 and which, thanks to https://dosdude1.com/mojave has been tweaked to allow macOS 10.14.6 to run. It's a fine machine, nonetheless, having 32GB of RAM certainly helps it perform 😉

This discussion has been closed.