Unlock with Touch ID while in Clamshell mode

Options
grovolis21
grovolis21
Community Member
edited June 2020 in Mac

Hi all,

I would like to make a request. So while in Clamshell mode on my MBP 2018 13 inch, running latest Catalina 10.15.5 the following happens when trying to unlock the vault.

On other software such as OTP Auth, you get prompted for Touch ID even if the MacBook is in clamshell mode and you can conveniently double click on your Apple Watch to unlock the vault.

Is this something you would consider for 1Password on macOS?

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: 10.15
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• Ben
    Options

Hi @grovolis21

Supporting unlocking via Apple Watch is a different ball of wax from Touch ID. We are looking into it though. :)

Ben

• grovolis21
    grovolis21
    Community Member
    Options

Hi @Ben

Thanks for getting back to me. I am no expert but I though that since you can trigger the Touch ID prompt, the macOS takes over the request and pings the watch (as long as unlock with Apple Watch is enabled in system settings).

What I really mean is that I though 1Password is not initiating the Touch ID request when it detects clamshell mode because it doesn't make sense (if you don't own a watch). So what you're telling is that it requires extra work to forward the request to the watch? Strange if that's the case.

• Ben
    Options

Correct. At least for what 1Password would need in order to unlock, we don't get it 'for free' simply by supporting Touch ID. Because 1Password requires encryption keys to unlock, which is not usually the case with other apps which are doing simple authentication, they may have an easier path.

Ben

This discussion has been closed.