Post-Account Recovery, Staff Member's Private Vault Data is Missing!

ndcoonen
ndcoonen
Community Member
edited June 2020 in Business and Teams

One of my staff members logged into his computer this morning and was immediately notified that his account was "frozen". We're an org of 21 people and we've never had any of our 1Password for Teams accounts frozen in the past. After confirming that we had paid our annual Teams billing, I went down the path of recovering the staff member's account.

We successfully recovered the account and signed him back in, only to find that in the macOS desktop app, the Secret Key in the app didn't match the newly-generated key from the account recovery. I had him sign out and sign back in again with the new secret key information and everything was better -- no more account freeze -- until he realized that none of his Private vault data is there anymore.

That vault is full of MFA/2FA information that is critical for our staff member to perform his work. I've looked in every KB I can think of, but I don't see any mention of restoring a Private vault from 1Password for Teams, nor have I ever seen a Private vault lose data after an account recovery.

I need some assistance with this issue ASAP, please.

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: macOS 10.15.4
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• Hi @ndcoonen

Based on your description it sounds like this person has more than one account — one within your membership and one outside it. Freezing happens at the membership level, not the account level, so it wouldn't be possible for their account to be frozen while yours isn't if they're part of the same membership.

I'd suggest starting there. See what accounts this person has, and which the data they're looking for is stored. The information we have so far strongly indicates they have more than one account in different memberships. Thanks.

Ben

• ndcoonen
    ndcoonen
    Community Member

Thank you for the recommendation, @Ben

That was indeed the case -- the staff member had somehow managed to create a personal account with his manager during onboarding as opposed to using the Team invitation. Resubscribed his personal account, moved his saved login data to the Teams account Private vault, unsubscribed the personal account, then signed out.

Interesting note @Ben: during the cancelation process from the 1Password 7 desktop app for macOS, the application insisted that the Master Password we entered to unsubscribe was incorrect. We verified multiple times that it was correct by pasting it from a text document. Ultimately, we successfully used the web app and the same Master Password in order cancel the subscription. Clever client retention scheme or bug? ;)

Again, many thanks for the advice!

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

@ndcoonen:

during the cancelation process from the 1Password 7 desktop app for macOS, the application insisted that the Master Password we entered to unsubscribe was incorrect. We verified multiple times that it was correct by pasting it from a text document.

Where did this happen exactly? Was it already when trying to unlock the app, or was it after you had already unlocked the app and were prompted for the Master Password later?

This discussion has been closed.