Trial User. Having Issues with Password Generator in Chrome

As stated, trial user here. Long time Dashlane user and always looking for something better. Loving what I see in 1Password so far and see the potential for a switch but I am having all sorts of issues with what I would think are very basic functions. Example: I am creating a new account on a website. In the form it asks for name, email, password, and confirm password. What I am used to with Dashlane is for there to be an icon for the PW manager in each field, I click on it and it fills in my information based on my "Identity" set up in the manager. Then, in then password field I would expect to be able to have the PW manager generate a random password. I would also expect at that time to be able to control what kind of password I want (number of characters, letters, caps, etc.). I am not getting any of this to happen for me with 1Password. I can get it to generate a password for me but it seems to only produce one one way. I can't see any way to change it. In one case it would only generate a 20 digit one but the site had a max of 15. I couldn't change it. I am using Chrome and I have the extension installed as well as the desktop app.

I really want to switch to 1Password but so far I'm having terrible issues navigating the Windows desktop app and Chrome web app. Please help me, I don't want to give up and abandon this as I think the underlying functionality is exactly what I'm looking for but the app has to be easy to use for the creation, saving and recalling of saved passwords as well as form filling. Thanks in advance.

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

Hi @gator90! Welcome to the forum!

I couldn't change it. I am using Chrome and I have the extension installed as well as the desktop app.

What version of the 1Password extension have you installed in Chrome?

• gator90
    gator90
    Community Member

It's 1.19.1

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni
    edited June 2020

@gator90:

Thank you for the confirmation!

Then, in then password field I would expect to be able to have the PW manager generate a random password. I would also expect at that time to be able to control what kind of password I want (number of characters, letters, caps, etc.). I am not getting any of this to happen for me with 1Password.

In the 1Password X browser extension, you can access the password generator by clicking on the big "+" button inside 1Password X:

Then choose the password generator option (it's the first one in the menu):

And here you can create the password the way you want: you can include a maximum length if the website has this limitation, and change the options as you prefer. Since the website you are using only allows passwords of up to 15 characters, here is an example of a 15-character password:

• gator90
    gator90
    Community Member

I do not see things the way you show. When I click on the browser extension I see this...

If I click on the "Suggestions" button I just see this...

Nowhere do I see anyway to determine the passwords length or type like you show.

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

@gator90:

Please click on the 1Password X icon next to the URL bar in your browser. It looks like you are using the 1Password X icon which appears directly inside the form field.

• gator90
    gator90
    Community Member

I already had tried that but it doesn't seem to help...

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

@gator90:

If you click on the "+" button there and follow the instructions in my previous post, what do you see? Do you reach the password generator?

• gator90
    gator90
    Community Member
    edited June 2020

I do now going about it that way. It seems like more clicking than it should be. So what reason is there for having the 1Password icon show up in the password field? It seems useless and confusing. Am I missing something?

• @gator90

The menu in your screenshot is contextual. It is based on what 1Password thinks the field you've selected is for, what other fields are on the page, as well as what items are already saved in your vaults. In many cases 1Password will provide an option like this:

If you are not seeing that, and want to, you can click where it says Suggestions in your screenshot, and change that to Generated Password. Does that help?

Ben

• gator90
    gator90
    Community Member

Thanks for your response, Ben. I'm glad to hear it's contextual but it doesn't seem to be showing me the right choice when I select a field. Example: I click in the password field and I see this (my identity)...

If I then click on More Suggestions I see this...

Why does it not give me the choice to enter a password, and why would it not present me with that option automatically since I've clicked in a password field? I feel like I must be doing something wrong all the time with 1Password but it feels like doing even basic tasks are a chore and I have to hunt and seek for the right thing to click on. Hopefully, I just haven't caught on to the methodology here and hoping to have an ah-ha moment but so far I haven't.

Additionally, why do I keep getting this popup when auto-filling fields? Is this my browser doing this or 1Password and regardless, how can I make it stop doing this?

Thanks so much for your help, really appreciate it.

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

@gator90:

It's also possible that you found a form on a website that is designed in a particular way that confuses 1Password. Can you please share the full URL of the page, so we can test it directly here too?

• kaitlyn
    kaitlyn
    1Password Alumni

Thanks for getting this on our radar, @gator90. I believe the "Should not be same as email or login" placeholder is making 1Password X think you'd want an email filled in that field. I'll go ahead and get it reported to our developers so they can investigate. You're completely right, though, you should be seeing a suggested password in that password field rather than an option to fill your Identities.

ref: dev/core/core#1621

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

Hi @gator90! I wanted to send you a quick update to let you know that our developers have addressed this in 1Password X version 1.22.0.beta, and 1Password for Mac 7.7.BETA-8 ;)

This discussion has been closed.