Lost 2fa code just after creating it.

Options

Hi

Just added security to one site thru 2fa auth and used 1passwordX on Firefox, everything good.

Then I install the Android app for said site and try to fill 2fa from the Android 1password app and it didn't have the 2fa code and said it wasn't enabled for said site.

Go back to 1passwordx on FF and see that now there is no 2FA set up for said site.
Open Desktop app on same computer and find that there is no 2FA for said site.

You locked me out of said site. Help.

1Password Version: 7.4.767
Extension Version: 1.19.1
OS Version: Windows 10 Pro
Sync Type: 1Password

Comments

• ag_yaron
    ag_yaron
    1Password Alumni
    Options

esteban ,

Can you please elaborate on the following:

• How exactly did you add the 2FA to 1Password? with a QR code?
    • Did the website offer backup codes in additional to the 2FA code? Did you happen to download/save them anywhere?
    • Did you actually download and install the 1Password app on your Android device AFTER you saved the 2FA on your computer, or did you already have the 1Password app installed on your Android device and you just opened it to autofill on the website?
    • Does the website has a recovery process? When it asks for the 2FA code is there a "I can't access my account" button somewhere, similar to the "I forgot" in the password page? Perhaps you can start the process of recovery right now.
  • _esteban_
    _esteban_
    Community Member
    Options

How exactly did you add the 2FA to 1Password? with a QR code?

Using the 1passwordX QR Scan thingy and it worked and sent the code for approval the 1st time

Did the website offer backup codes in additional to the 2FA code? Did you happen to download/save them anywhere?

I did not, but I was trusting 1password

Did you actually download and install the 1Password app on your Android device AFTER you saved the 2FA on your computer, or did you already have the 1Password app installed on your Android device and you just opened it to autofill on the website?

No, I have the Android app installed since a very long time, I'm a 1Password user for a very long time

Does the website has a recovery process? When it asks for the 2FA code is there a "I can't access my account" button somewhere, similar to the "I forgot" in the password page? Perhaps you can start the process of recovery right now.

I think this is irrelevant to the problem at hand. I migrated all my 2FA codes from Authy to 1Password 1 month ago and I can't bear this burden of 1Password breaking on me like this.

I even tried to see if there was a history in the 1password entry for the site but there were only 2 and none had any change on the 2FA one time password.

• _esteban_
    _esteban_
    Community Member
    Options

Any help?

• ag_yaron
    ag_yaron
    1Password Alumni
    edited June 2020
    Options

Hey esteban
    I'm trying to investigate possible causes and see if this is something that may have occured on 1Password's side, but I don't have anything conclusive so far.

Whether we'll find a possible cause or not, the only things I can suggest are:

• Log into your account at https://my.1password.com, select the login of this website and click the "View item history" button and see if the 2FA field exists in one of the revised versions, but you mentioned you already tried that and didn't find it.
    • Start the recovery process in the website.

There are no other ways to recover deleted information, definitely not on our side since we don't have access to your vaults and items.
    I know that hindsight is 20/20, but please do always save the backup codes. You can store them in the login item of that website in the notes section. They can save you in all kinds of situations (especially since TOTPs are based on the current time and date of the device and all kinds of crazy things can go wrong there).

Furthermore, if this was indeed caused by the 1Password app itself, it would really help if we can figure out a way to replicate the issue. I'm trying to play with it for a while now but so far no luck. If you remember the specific step-by-step of what went down and you are able to replicate the issue, please write the steps here so we can further investigate it.

I'm sorry I don't have any better news here, and will update you if we find anything new.

• _esteban_
    _esteban_
    Community Member
    Options

**_Whether we'll find a possible cause or not, the only things I can suggest are:

Log into your account at https://my.1password.com, select the login of this website and click the "View item history" button and see if the 2FA field exists in one of the revised versions, but you mentioned you already tried that and didn't find it.
    Start the recovery process in the website._**

Will try this.

I know that hindsight is 20/20, but please do always save the backup codes. You can store them in the login item of that website in the notes section. They can save you in all kinds of situations (especially since TOTPs are based on the current time and date of the device and all kinds of crazy things can go wrong there).

Yeah, but this site didn't gave me any recovery codes... second site in all my life that does that... But once you enabled you rely on your 2FA app since the codes are given after applied.

Furthermore, if this was indeed caused by the 1Password app itself, it would really help if we can figure out a way to replicate the issue. I'm trying to play with it for a while now but so far no luck. If you remember the specific step-by-step of what went down and you are able to replicate the issue, please write the steps here so we can further investigate it.

As I said before it was the normal way, the site showed the qr code, I clicked the small icon for scanning the code on 1passwordX and a code was provided that enabled 2FA, without that 1st code I wouldn't be able to enable 2FA... so then when I tried in Android it wasn't just there.

The site is Coinbase, lucky me I don't have any investment there.

• _esteban_
    _esteban_
    Community Member
    Options

Went to the History online and not on the Desktop and found the change and recovered it, and it works.

I remember that the only thing I did is in the Desktop app, edit the item for the site and change the email and the login url NOT the 2FA URL btw... and then save.

But thank God I was able to recover that.

Thanks for the support.

Dunno why I wasn't able to see the History in the desktop app.

• ag_yaron
    ag_yaron
    1Password Alumni
    Options

I'm really glad you managed to recover the 2FA. Still not sure what made it disappear but at least you got it back now.

I truly suggest you go to the website, disable 2FA, then re-enable it to get them backup codes :)
    I'll let you know if we find anything else on the matter that might be related.

This discussion has been closed.