Being asked for password to reenable TouchID more than once.

lucca
lucca
Community Member

I know that under certain circumstances i have to enter my password in order to get into 1Password on iOS, instead of being able to unlock it with with Touch ID.
But if i enter my 1Password master password inside the password suggestion interface inside chrome (for example) then Touch ID never gets reenabled. No matter how often i unlock 1Password with my Master Password. But as soon as i open the proper 1Password app via the home screen and enter my Password there, TouchID get reenabled and i can use it for the password suggestion dialog and for future openings of the 1Password app.

Is this intended behavior? Is it caused by an iOS limitation? If it can’t be changed, can we get the option to always automatically open the 1Password app instead of the suggestion widget if touch id isn’t reenabled yet?

I love your product and always recommend it to friends. Keep up the good work.

Best regards
Lucca

Comments

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

Hi @lucca! Welcome to the forum!

But as soon as i open the proper 1Password app via the home screen and enter my Password there, TouchID get reenabled and i can use it for the password suggestion dialog and for future openings of the 1Password app.

This is indeed expected behavior: you need to unlock the main 1Password app at least once in order to enable Touch ID. If you only enter your Master Password inside the AutoFill extension (which is what I think you are referring to in your example), you will always be prompted for the Master Password there. Only the full app can enabled Touch ID after you entered your Master Password once.

I love your product and always recommend it to friends. Keep up the good work.

Thank you for the kind words! :+1: :)

• Klaws
    Klaws
    Community Member

I'm having the same issue here. I would like that behavior, except that once every 30 days, it "expires" the touchID and I have to re-enter the full password. That's fine.

But when I re-enter the password inside the AutoFill extension, it doesn't allow touchID again. So I always have to fill out the password inside AutoFill, then remember to at some later time go back in to 1Password App directly and fill out the password. Then it works again for 30 days.

I would love it if the expiration every 30 days happened, but when I used the actual password in AutoFill, 1Password detected that I've now typed the real password and re-enabled the touchID again without me having to do that by going directly into the app again. I'm not sure I understand the additional security (if any) of making me enter the same password multiple times.

• Hey @Klaws

Autofill doesn't currently have the capability of storing the necessary secrets in the keychain to enable biometric unlock of 1Password. Presently only the 1Password app can do that. So, you can somewhat have it as you say, but you'd have to unlock in the app itself instead of through autofill in order to re-enable Touch ID after the timeout (or if the device reboots).

Ben

• Klaws
    Klaws
    Community Member

Got it, thank you for the explanation. Sounds like it's a limitation iOS places, not a design choice. Safety first, I understand!

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

Indeed @Klaws :+1: :)

This discussion has been closed.