How can we save and populate login details on browser popup prompts?

Some websites ask for login details in a popup prompt rather than as part of fields in the website itself.

Can 1password automatically save/populate this type of login? And if not, can the functionality please be added.

Using 1Password X on Windows Chrome, as well as the Windows app.

Thanks!

1Password Version: 7.4.767
Extension Version: 1.19.2
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided
Referrer: forum-search:save password on popup prompts

Comments

• Hey @swong1! Do you hav a website where this isn't working for you?

• swong1
    swong1
    Community Member

Hi,

The 2 that I use often which have popup prompts are:

-My Netgear router admin page
    -The the web-based interface of NZBget software

From memory, logging into any FTP site in Chrome also prompts you to login via a popup.

• I'm wondering if by "pop-up", we're referring to a basic authentication prompt, something like this?

• swong1
    swong1
    Community Member

Yes, that is exactly what I'm referring to.

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

@swong1:

Thank you for the confirmation? Have you tried dragging and dropping your username and password to that form? If you open 1Password X while on that page, you should be able to drag and drop from the 1Password X extension to the form :)

• swong1
    swong1
    Community Member

Hi,

Yes - dragging and dropping works once the login details are manually added to the vault, however my question was regarding automation of this process (of both adding and populating)

Thanks!

• ag_yaron
    ag_yaron
    1Password Alumni

Hey @swong1 ,
    1Password can only interact with HTML pages. Basic authentication prompts are not HTML based, but a built-in browser window which is why 1Password cannot interact with it as it is not a webpage.

However, there's a neat little trick with 1Password X:
    1. Create a new login for the website manually by clicking the 1Password icon on the top right corner of your browser -> Click the big PLUS icon -> Login. Make sure to fill the username, password and the URL of the website.
    2. Once you have a login for that website, instead of going to the website and trying to autofill, simply click the 1Password icon on the top right, select the login of this website and click on "Go". 1Password should take you there and log you in without even showing the login popup.

Give it a try and let us know if that worked.

• Backspaze
    Backspaze
    Community Member
    edited August 2020

I knew I'd read about @ag_yaron's trick in this forum a while back, but had trouble finding this tip now again when I ran into issues with a basic auth prompt that wouldn't play nice with 1Password X.

After writing a short novel here while continuing with the troubleshooting I figured out that my issue had nothing to do with 1Password X, the website in question or Firefox. Instead it turns out it's one of my browser add-ons that's causing it, now I just need to figure out which one.

EDIT 1: And the winners (yes plural) are Firefox Multi-Account Containers (FFMAC) and Temporary Containers (TC). With either of those activated 1Password X can't log in automatically to this particular site. For those interested it's the admin portal for a Communigate email server.

EDIT 2: Nope, I spoke too soon. If I disable TC and remove the site from the Work container in FFMAC so the site opens in just an ordinary tab in Firefox everything works. But if I configure FFMAC to always open the site in the Work container it doesn't work. When Firefox tries to open the site in a specific container it creates a new tab and that somehow seems to mess with 1Password X trying to automatically log in.

This is more or less the definition of an edge case so I'm not counting on it being fixed, and I'm not really sure if they can fix it or if the issue really lies with Mozilla.

• ag_yaron
    ag_yaron
    1Password Alumni

Hey @Backspaze ,

We are aware of extensions that changes Firefox's default behavior and windows/tabs management have severe side effects when using 1Password, but that's quite out of our hands :)

The only suggestions we can make here is to not use such extensions, or at least not with websites where you are experiencing such side effects on, but that's probably not a very helpful suggestion.

In any case, I'm glad you figured it out on your own and know how to avoid this issue. :+1:

• Backspaze
    Backspaze
    Community Member

Huh, so my original post returned from the void...? I created this new thread because I thought it was lost forever, but thanks for being thorough and replying here as well.

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

On behalf of ag_yaron, you are very welcome :)

This discussion has been closed.