How do I upgrade my Families account to 1Password for Business

I have a 1Password account for Families (which I use with my family), and now I'd like to expand this to 1Password for Business to use with work colleagues.
How do I upgrade my account to 1Password for Business?
I want to make sure that all my existing family member vaults are retained and also take advantage of the free 1Password for families.
Looking at the website it advises that I have to upgrade to 1Password for Teams first, but won't this change the accounts for my family members to team as well?

1Password Version: 7.5
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: OS X 10.15.5
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

Hi @aussie_trev!

How do I upgrade my account to 1Password for Business?

This article shows you all the steps you need to follow to upgrade your existing account:

Change your 1Password account type

I want to make sure that all my existing family member vaults are retained and also take advantage of the free 1Password for families.

Every vault will be retained during the upgrade: the process won't touch existing data.

Looking at the website it advises that I have to upgrade to 1Password for Teams first, but won't this change the accounts for my family members to team as well?

That is correct: from a Families account, you will have to upgrade to Teams first, and then you will be able to upgrade to Business. The article I linked to above has all of the steps for this too.

After upgrading, the account type will change for you and for every member in your account too, that is correct.

• aussie_trev
    aussie_trev
    Community Member

Thanks @ag_ana

• On behalf of Ana you're very welcome. :)

Ben

• aussie_trev
    aussie_trev
    Community Member

In reading the documentation I have a further question I'd like to clarify:

If I upgrade my family account to a team first, and then to a business, do all my existing family members become members of the team and the business vault?
    Because I don't want this to happen - I'd like to have a Business account, where it only contains the users within our business, and then a family account that just has my personal family members.

Or will the upgrade from Family to Teams to Business allow me to do this?

Many thanks and greetings from Australia!

• @aussie_trev

My apologies; I think we need to take a step back as it appears we were not clear on the goals.

If you want to two separate memberships - one for your family and one for your business, then upgrading the 1Password Families membership you currently have to 1Password Business isn't going to do that for you. Instead you should leave the 1Password Families membership as-is and create a new entirely separate 1Password Business membership:

https://start.1password.com/sign-up/business?l=en

Once you've established the business membership you can link the billing for the 1Password Families membership to it, so that it doesn't have a separate bill (essentially: it is free/included, so long as you are subscribed to 1Password Business). Other than the billing aspect, there is no connection between the two memberships. People in one don't have access to the other. They are totally separate memberships for all purposes except billing.

Get a free 1Password Families membership when you use 1Password Business

You personally will have two separate accounts, each with their own unique credentials: one inside the 1Password Families membership, and one inside the 1Password Business membership. Both of these can be added to the 1Password apps so that you can view and manage all of your data in one place.

Does that make sense? Please let me know.

Ben

• aussie_trev
    aussie_trev
    Community Member

Hi Ben,

Yes, that does make sense.

When I establish the business account should I use the same email account that I use for my family account (since I will be the only user that will use both) OR should I use a different email account? (or doesn't it matter)
    I just want to make sure I set this up in the best way.

Regards,

Trevor.

• ag_tommy
    edited June 2020

@aussie_trev

You can select whichever email address you would like to use. I decided to have all of my accounts under a single email address, merely for simplicity's sake. When my wife had her business account, she chose to keep everything business-related under her business email address while using her personal email address for our family account.

I should note that she opted for the business address so that invoices were sent to that address, making it useful for tax purposes, among other things.

• aussie_trev
    aussie_trev
    Community Member

Thanks Tommy,

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

On behalf of ag_tommy, you are welcome! If you have any other questions, please feel free to reach out anytime.

Have a wonderful day :)

This discussion has been closed.