Adding additional 2FA/OTP to 1Password after previously only added it to another app (Authy)

Options
sweejin
sweejin
Community Member

Hello,

I previously added all my 2FA/OTP using Authy for websites and software. That time, I hadn't realise that 1Password also had that function.

Now, I would like to add 2FA/OTP to 1Password for each of those website and software. The QR code for each website / software no longer appears in their privacy/security/2FA section.

Is there a way to add 2FA/OTP in 1Password, perhaps like scanning Authy for each item?

Or do I have to disable 2FA for each website & software, and then re-enable it, and rescan it both on 1Password & Authy?

I would prefer not to have to do the latter, as I understand it requires more steps, including generating a new set of backup codes, which means I have to store it some where else again.

Thanks!

1Password Version: 7.5 (70500003)
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: macOS Mojave 10.14.6
Sync Type: iCloud
Referrer: forum-search:QR code

Comments

• Ben
    Options

Hi @sweejin

I don't know that there is a way to get the TOTP secrets from Authy, which would suggest that the latter method you outlined would be the only method.

including generating a new set of backup codes, which means I have to store it some where else again.

What would be the purpose in that, particularly if you have your TOTP secrets stored in both 1Password and Authy? I would suggest that perhaps this is unnecessary.

Ben

• sweejin
    sweejin
    Community Member
    Options

Hey Ben,

I too prefer to have my TOTP stored only on one app, which is 1Password.

Awhile back when I purchased 1Password, I learnt about having a good password manager to create and store different passwords. I was unaware of the concept of 2-Factor Authentication, and it's importance. I also, hadn't realise / notice that feature was also provided by 1Password.

Later on, when I learnt about 2FA and it's importance, I purchased Authy based on reviews online. So I used both 1Password and Authy together over time.

But soon after, when I discovered that 1Password also had 2FA, I started using 1Password for that instead. However, a lot of my websites already were set up with Authy.

But moving forward and recently, I just used 1Password, as it makes things a lot easier with 1 app, rather than switching from 1Password for the password and Authy for 2FA code.

So yeah, I agree, using them both would be unnecessary.

• Ben
    Options

@sweejin

Ah, sorry for creating some confusion there. I actually wasn't suggesting not using Authy in conjunction with 1Password. I was suggesting considering the value of saving backup codes when you'll have two separate apps that hold your TOTP secrets. :)

Ben

• sweejin
    sweejin
    Community Member
    Options

Oooooh, my bad, I didn't read carefully what you were saying in reply to re-generating new backup codes.

I wasn't thinking it through properly, you're right, both would act as redundant TOTP for each.

I guess, all I am required now is to ensure my 1Password Emergency Kit is kept some where safe.

Thanks for your help!

• Ben
    Options

Oooooh, my bad, I didn't read carefully what you were saying in reply to re-generating new backup codes.

No worries.

I guess, all I am required now is to ensure my 1Password Emergency Kit is kept some where safe.

I'd highly recommend that, yes. :)

Thanks for your help!

You're very welcome! Happy to help. If there is anything else we can do, please don't hesitate to contact us.

Ben

This discussion has been closed.