Login to AppleID site from Mac change

I've tried login to AppleID.Apple.com and it appears I now need to cancel my login to go to my previously set AppleID password, AppleID now by default chooses my Mac Login password as my AppleID password if I don't cancel first. It's two different passwords, so the attempt didn't work the first few tries.

How do I save the AppleID login for my Mac Login?

Catalina 10.15.5
Safari 13.1.1

Comments

• wkleem
    wkleem
    Community Member

It wasn't clear when looking at the change in AppleID login that I would be using my Mac Login password instead of the Apple Login password.

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

If you click on the Continue with Password, is it at that point that you are asked for your Mac password, instead of your Apple ID password?

• wkleem
    wkleem
    Community Member
    edited June 2020

@ag_ana,

If you click on the Continue with Password, is it at that point that you are asked for your Mac password, instead of your Apple ID password?

Correct.

My Apple ID password is still in use almost everywhere, just not for this Login.

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

Thank you for the confirmation. I have tested the website AppleID.Apple.com and, after entering my email address, I was prompted to enter my Apple ID password as usual. I did not get any prompt to use my Mac password in Chrome, so I thought this must be a Safari-specific setting.

Indeed, I then tested this in Safari, and I got the same prompt that you received. If you want to login to your Apple ID in Safari using your email and password as usual, please click on the Cancel button at the top right corner in your screenshot, and the normal login form will appear again.

• wkleem
    wkleem
    Community Member
    edited June 2020

Thanks for the confirmation. Use a different Apple ID seems to be similar to Cancel. It allows me to use my Apple Login.

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

Indeed, I get the same behavior here too :+1:

• wkleem
    wkleem
    Community Member

Hi

I wonder if there is a way to go back to the old way without switching browsers and still use Safari, saved inside a Login? It's slightly annoying.

1Password can save the Login but that means I'll have two Logins now, one for Safari 13 (Mac Login) and another for alternate browsers and Apple Login in Safari?

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

I cannot find a way to do this in Safari, it looks like a recent change on the Apple website. Since this is Safari-specific I would recommend reaching out to Apple directly, and see if they can recommend anything.

1Password works on that website, it's just that this new login method happens before 1Password can do its work. So reaching out to Apple is probably going to be the best thing here.

• wkleem
    wkleem
    Community Member

Thanks.

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

:+1: :)

This discussion has been closed.