Wrong rich icons shown for items in the main window on desktop

aaaaaa
aaaaaa
Community Member

After unlocking 1Password the wrong rich icons are shown for items in the main window. Each item has the icon of a different item within my vault. They don't show random icons which I don't have logins for, so it seems that the icons are just rearranged. Also worth noting: The rearrangement happens across all item types. For example, a secure note might show the rich icon for an amazon.com login item.

The issue can be resolved by quitting and relaunching the app, or by going into Preferences, un-checking "Show rich icons" and then checking it again. Then all of the items have their correct rich icons.

This issue has been occurring for a while now but it only happens maybe once a week or so. I can't reproduce the issue on-demand, but I will follow up here with more information next time it happens.

Also, side note: you can probably have your forum team change the placeholder text for the "Operating System Version(s)" field from "eg. OS X 10.10.3" to something like "eg. macOS 10.15.5"

1Password Version: 1Password 7 Version 7.5 (70500003) 1Password Store
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: macOS 10.15.5 (19F101)
Sync Type: iCloud

Comments

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

Hi @aaaaaa!

I have never seen this happen before, so if you find a way to consistently reproduce this, certainly please let us and we will be happy to test that here :+1:

Also, side note: you can probably have your forum team change the placeholder text for the "Operating System Version(s)" field from "eg. OS X 10.10.3" to something like "eg. macOS 10.15.5"

You mean when you create a new discussion on the forum?

• aaaaaa
    aaaaaa
    Community Member

@ag_ana Yep, sorry, I should have mentioned that! OS X 10.10 is 6 years old now and was renamed to macOS 4 years ago. Long-time Mac users will know what it's asking for there but newer or less tech-savvy users might be confused.

Update on the icons issue: I haven't found a way to reproduce it yet, but I was able to take screenshots when it last occurred.

When opening 1Password mini and performing a search, I noticed that the first five icons in the results were incorrect:

• The first result item was for google.com but showed the icon for maytag.com
    • The second result item was for lacie.com but showed the icon for marriott.com
    • The third result item was for orbitz.com but showed the icon for maclegion.com
    • The fourth result item was for logmein.com but showed the icon for livingsocial.com
    • The fifth result item was for staples.com but showed a generic monogram icon for a site which did not have a rich icon

Results existed in this search for all five of the sites for which the incorrect icons appeared, just further down in the list.

After closing the window, reopening it, and performing the search again, the icons were then all correct:

Also, another time that I noticed it happen, I just waited a few seconds and the icons corrected themselves without me doing anything.

I will continue to see if there's a way I can reliably reproduce this issue.

• Hey @aaaaaa

Thanks for the follow-up. I was able to find an issue on our end regarding this behavior. Our developers are aware and working towards a fix. Please look for that fix in a future release.

ref: dev/apple/issues#4542

• aaaaaa
    aaaaaa
    Community Member

@ag_tommy Awesome, sounds good, thanks!

• Glad to help out, and thanks for reporting it.

• aaaaaa
    aaaaaa
    Community Member

I know this bug has been confirmed but I just experienced it again and had some additional feedback in case it would help the dev team.

After opening the main window I noticed that the first two items in my list (which is sorted by Title, Alphabetically) were wrong. The first item in the list had the icon for a login item which the title started with Wu, and the second item had an icon for a login item which the title started with Wo. Then I scrolled all the way to the bottom of the list and saw that the Wu login item had the correct icon and was the last item in the list, and the Wo item also had it's correct icon and was the second-to-last one in the list. So basically the 1 and 2 were basically "mirrored" with the ones at the end of the list. Then I scrolled back to the top of the list and the first two items then had the correct icons.

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

@aaaaaa:

Thank you for the additional information! I am going to add them to our internal issue we use to track this :+1:

• garyhooper
    garyhooper
    Community Member

I am still seeing this bug randomly in 7.7.BETA5. It is not only random in occurrence, but different incorrect icons are displayed randomly. Forcing a refresh (e.g. select Favourites then All Items) seems to correct it.

• Thanks for sharing, @garyhooper. We haven't been able to address this one yet. We've got a fair bit ahead of it on the list.

Ben

• dmittman
    dmittman
    Community Member

Great to know this is on the list! I also get the "wrong icon for an item" problem when switching between items in the navigation sidebar, such as switching between categories. In the back of my mind I've associated the apparent randomness of the problem with those rare instances where perhaps switching categories coincides with a sync; this is a complete guess with no evidence!

• Thanks @dmittman. That's an interesting guess!

Ben

• jmreljac
    jmreljac
    Community Member

I'm sure there's lots on your list but on macOS 11.3.1 with 1Password 7 - Version 7.8.5 (70805001) - 1Password Store this issue is still a thing. It's random for sure. Seems like it often happens the first time I open the mini window then it may happen again if I open the mini window after 5/6 minutes... If I open then open again in short order the icons tend to fix themselves but it is confusing when it's first opened. (I do tend to look at he icons a bit)

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

Thank you for the update @jmreljac. I have passed your findings to the developers, I am sure they will find them useful when they finally get to tackle this one :+1:

ref: apple-4542

This discussion has been closed.