1PasswordAgent repeatedly requests access to Desktop

Options
garyrb
garyrb
Community Member

I updated my Mac to macOS 10.15.5 today. Every time I reboot, I receive multiple (between 2 and 100) requests to allow 1PasswordAgent to have access to my Desktop.
Questions:
1) Why does it need access to my Desktop?
2) Why does it ask repeatedly, after I have clicked OK every time and after I have checked Security and Privacy and confirmed that I gave it access?
3) How do I get it to stop asking?

Thanks
-Gary

1Password Version: 1Password 7 Version 7.6 (70600006) Mac App Store
Extension Version: Safari
OS Version: OS X 10.15.5
Sync Type: 1password.com

Comments

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @garyrb!

Can you please show a screenshot of this message? I don't believe I have ever heard about this before.

• garyrb
    garyrb
    Community Member
    Options

Sure:

• garyrb
    garyrb
    Community Member
    Options

Is this a remnant from older versions of 1Password?

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@garyrb:

It's possible, yes. Were you perhaps using 1Password 3 in the past, on this machine?

• garyrb
    garyrb
    Community Member
    Options

I think 1password 4 was my first version. But that would not have been on this machine.

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@garyrb:

I have investigated this, and it seems like 1PasswordAgent.app was indeed related to 1Password 3, so perhaps it ended up there from a backup. In any case, I have found this post from my colleague Lars with instructions on how to remove it, since it's not used by 1Password 7 ;)

• garyrb
    garyrb
    Community Member
    Options

That looks like it worked. In the Application Support folder is a 1Password folder and a 1Password 4 folder. Do I need both? Also both have a backup folder in both with backups that seem to overlap until 2019.06. Then only the 1Password/Backups folder has anything for 2019.07 through yesterday. THANKS!

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@garyrb:

Thank you for the update! I am glad to hear that it worked :)

In the Application Support folder is a 1Password folder and a 1Password 4 folder. Do I need both?

~/Library/Application Support/1Password 4 was used by 1Password 4, 5 and 6. Where do you see the folder named just 1Password? Is it in the same place?

• garyrb
    garyrb
    Community Member
    Options

Yes. ~/Library/Application Support/1Password contains: Backups and Extensions

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@garyrb:

~/Library/Application Support/1Password seems to be related to the even older 1Password 3 ;) Which makes sense in your case since you had things remaining from that old version.

1Password 7's data lives in ~/Library/Group Containers/2BUA8C4S2C.com.agilebits

• garyrb
    garyrb
    Community Member
    Options

So, I should delete ~/Library/Application Support/1Password and ~/Library/Application Support/1Password4?

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@garyrb:

If you are sure that the backups in those folders are something that you don't need, yes. I still recommend taking a backup of those folders before you proceed, just in case :+1:

• garyrb
    garyrb
    Community Member
    Options

Thanks for your help.

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni
    Options

You are welcome @garyrb! I am glad I could help :)

If you have any other questions, please feel free to reach out anytime.

Have a wonderful day :)

This discussion has been closed.