Markdown rendering error in 1P Mac app

Options
yawitz
yawitz
Community Member
edited July 2020 in Mac

Hi,

A new bug seems to have been introduced in the latest 1P Mac update (7.6).

The following note renders correctly:

Another note.

**Security Questions:**
- Question 1? [Answer 1]
- Question 2? [Answer 2]

But the following renders with the bullet points blanked out:

**Security Questions:**
- Question 1? [Answer 1]
- Question 2? [Answer 2]

Note that this bug does not occur (for me) in 1P Mini, or in the iOS version.

1Password Version: 7.6
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: OS X 10.14.6
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @yawitz!

I have copied and pasted the second note, and it looks like it's rendering correctly for me:

• yawitz
    yawitz
    Community Member
    Options

That's strange. I just tried making a new Login entry and doing the same as you, and (as before) it still doesn't work. Shows as:

Security Questions:

(i.e. with blank lines)

but if I click and drag over the note field, then copy and paste here, I get:

Security Questions:

● Question 1? [Answer 1]
    ● Question 2? [Answer 2]

so the text is there for me, just not rendering.
    (Note that I just pasted, without reconstructing the formatting as I see it, so the first line is actually bolded, but the bold text did not carry over when pasting it into this forum text field.)

Anything else that might explain our different outcomes?

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@yawitz:

The only difference I see is the operating system version (I am using macOS 10.15.5), but I really don't think that has anything to do with this. Just out of curiosity, can you please try quitting 1Password completely (right-click on 1Password mini in the menu bar at the top right of your screen > Quit 1Password Completely), and then relaunch 1Password? Do you see the same behavior then?

• yawitz
    yawitz
    Community Member
    Options

Just tried your suggestion...no difference. Sorry.

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@yawitz:

Thank you for the confirmation. I have also tried this on another device and 1Password rendered the note correctly there too, so this is something specific to your installation. I am not sure why this could be happening to you, but if you want we could try reinstalling the 1Password app and see if that helps. Would you like me to walk you through the steps to do so?

• yawitz
    yawitz
    Community Member
    Options

Sure. (Note that the problem currently doesn't occur in 1P Mini, or in my mobile apps.)

For what it's worth, this latest update happened without my intervention; I believe in the past I've downloaded and installed updates manually, but this time it was done automatically. (I honestly don't remember selecting "Automatically install updates", but can't swear it wasn't always set that way.)

One more observation: if I select the problematic entry in the app (when viewing "All items"), quit the app, then relaunch (where that entry remains selected), the entry's note renders correctly. However, if I immediately select a different item, then reselect the problematic one, the problem occurs.

I assume reinstalling the app won't affect my settings or other account details. If you still think that's worth trying, then do let me know how to proceed (other than simply downloading and running the latest installer).

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@yawitz:

I assume reinstalling the app won't affect my settings or other account details.

Correct. If you simply drag the existing 1Password app to the trash, empty the trash, reboot, and download and install 1Password again from our website, all your settings will be kept.

Just make sure not to use any app uninstallers or system cleaners in the process (simply dragging the 1Password app to the trash will be enough), or they risk deleting your data together with your app.

If you still see the same behavior after reinstalling the app, it means that the problem is this specific note. So this would help us at least understand where the real problem lies.

• yawitz
    yawitz
    Community Member
    Options

Hi,

I finally got around to trying your suggestion, but sadly the problem still occurs. Note that the problem isn't just with this one note; I just created that example to have a sample to play with, based on the characteristics of the note that trigger the problem. It occurs with a number of items with notes similar to this one. (And remember that the problem doesn't occur on my iDevices, nor in my 1P Mini window.)

Any other things I should try?

Thanks,
    Mitch

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@yawitz:

Would it be possible for you to create a short video that shows this happening in real time? Perhaps it can help give us some more details as to where things are behaving differently for you.

• yawitz
    yawitz
    Community Member
    Options

I have a short video showing the problem, with some other oddities demonstrated. What's the best way to get this to you? (Movies don't seem to be supported as attachments here.)

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@yawitz:

You can email it to us at support+forum@agilebits.com so we don't have to share it on a public forum ;)

After you have sent the email, please feel free to post the ticket number you received so we can locate your message and connect it with this forum discussion.

Looking forward to your message!

• yawitz
    yawitz
    Community Member
    Options

Demo video sent, see support ID: [#PHR-63373-434]. (Logging off for the evening, back tomorrow.)

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@yawitz:

Thank you! We will take a look and someone will reply to your email as soon as possible :+1:

ref: PHR-63373-434

This discussion has been closed.