Why are fields missing from the display of some saved logins?

Options
gengakusha
gengakusha
Community Member

I saved a new login manually in Safari (13.1.1) but when I open the 1Password app most of the information is not displayed.
In fact I saved this quite some time ago but didn't get around to posting so know the problem existed with early minor versions of both Safari and 1Password. The login screen consists of a "username" field (it's actually a patient number) and 4 fields for date of birth which are dropdown lists (Japanese era, year, month, day).

When I open 1Password the only information which displays in the login is the URL and a "username" (but the username displayed is actually the year).

Using "open and fill" works so all the information is saved somewhere, it just doesn't display which is rather confusing. It also means that the patient number needs to be recorded somewhere else for reference.

The site is "https://www2.i-helios-net.com/pc/hw2_pc_login.php?MID=" with 4 figures after the "=" which is effectively reveals personal information so I'm not posting that. In case that makes it impossible to see what the problem is, the html of the login form is below. I've replaced personal information with "ManuallyRedactedInfo". Sorry about the poor layout.

<form name="formpost" action="https://www2.i-helios-net.com/pc/hw2_pc_index00.php" method="post">
<input type="hidden" name="MID" value="ManuallyRedactedInfo">Shadow Content (User Agent)</input>
<p class="indent50">
</p><table class="login">
<tbody><tr><th>診察券番号</th><td><input type="txt" name="login_id" size="20" maxlength="15" style="ime-mode: disabled;" value="" data-com.agilebits.onepassword.initial-value="" class="">Shadow Content (User Agent)<div contenteditable="plaintext-only">ManuallyRedactedInfo</div></td></tr>
<tr><th>生年月日</th><td><select name="reki">
<option value="1">西暦</option>
<option value="2">明治</option>
<option value="3">大正</option>
<option value="4">昭和</option>
<option value="5">平成</option>
<option value="6">令和</option>
</select>

<input type="text" name="year" size="4" maxlength="4" style="ime-mode: disabled;" value="" data-com.agilebits.onepassword.initial-value="" class="">Shadow Content (User Agent)<div contenteditable="plaintext-only">ManuallyRedactedInfo</div>年
<select name="month">
<option value="1">1</option>
<option value="2">2</option>
<option value="3">3</option>
<option value="4">4</option>
<option value="5">5</option>
<option value="6">6</option>
<option value="7">7</option>
<option value="8">8</option>
<option value="9">9</option>
<option value="10">10</option>
<option value="11">11</option>
<option value="12">12</option>
</select>
月
<select name="day">
<option value="1">1</option>
<option value="2">2</option>
<option value="3">3</option>
<option value="4">4</option>
<option value="5">5</option>
<option value="6">6</option>
<option value="7">7</option>
<option value="8">8</option>
<option value="9">9</option>
<option value="10">10</option>
<option value="11">11</option>
<option value="12">12</option>
<option value="13">13</option>
<option value="14">14</option>
<option value="15">15</option>
<option value="16">16</option>
<option value="17">17</option>
<option value="18">18</option>
<option value="19">19</option>
<option value="20">20</option>
<option value="21">21</option>
<option value="22">22</option>
<option value="23">23</option>
<option value="24">24</option>
<option value="25">25</option>
<option value="26">26</option>
<option value="27">27</option>
<option value="28">28</option>
<option value="29">29</option>
<option value="30">30</option>
<option value="31">31</option>
</select>
日
</td></tr>
</tbody></table>
<p></p>
<br>
<center>
<p><input type="button" name="btnOK" value="ログイン" onclick="javascript:fncSubmit(&quot;診察券番号&quot;);return false" style="cursor:pointer"> <input type="button" name="btnReset" value="リセット" onclick="javascript:fncReset();return false" style="cursor:pointer">
</p>
</center>
</form>

1Password Version: 7.6
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: MacOS 10.14.6
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @gengakusha!

If 1Password fills information on that website properly, it means that all the fields are saved in the form details. You can see them by clicking on the View Saved Form Details button at the bottom of this 1Password item in the Mac app.

• gengakusha
    gengakusha
    Community Member
    Options

Thank you @ag_ana

That's the second feature that I hadn't noticed which you've pointed out to me today ;) The reason I hadn't noticed it was that up until now I've never saved a login which doesn't display all the fields I want to see. Is there any way to force (selected) form details to display by default?

Also, is there a way to edit the field labels so that "year" is not labelled as "username". In the saved form details section it is correctly labelled as "year".

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@gengakusha:

Is there any way to force (selected) form details to display by default?

There isn't currently a way to do that. The reason is that 1Password saves information in that section that is useful for filling items on a web page, but it's often not something that is useful to see :)

Also, is there a way to edit the field labels so that "year" is not labelled as "username". In the saved form details section it is correctly labelled as "year".

Do you mean inside the main Login item, or directly inside the Web Form Details section?

• gengakusha
    gengakusha
    Community Member
    Options

I'd like to change the label in the main login item. The labels in the web form details section are correct.

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@gengakusha:

Thank you for the confirmation. If you click on the Edit button in this login item, you will be able to change any value inside the item, even the labels: just click on the label with the wrong name while you are in Edit mode, and 1Password will allow you to type a new label.

• gengakusha
    gengakusha
    Community Member
    Options

@ag_ana
    Thanks for the quick reply but I'm afraid that doesn't work. Edit mode will let me edit all labels except for the two default fields in a login item: "username" and "password".

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@gengakusha:

Can you post a screenshot of that section perhaps? If there is any personal information in it that you might not want to share on a public forum, please feel free to send the screenshot to us via email at support+forum@agilebits.com.

• gengakusha
    gengakusha
    Community Member
    Options

@ag_ana

All that shows in the login item is "username" (but the content is not the username) and the URL

I assume it is this and not the saved form details which you want to see. I hope this makes it clearer.

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni
    edited July 2020
    Options

@gengakusha:

I see, thank you. In this case, the best thing would probably be to enter the correct username manually there, and add the 38 as a custom field in a different section of that login item.

• gengakusha
    gengakusha
    Community Member
    Options

@ag_ana
    Thank you for the suggestion.
    Unfortunately, although I can edit the contents of the username field showing in the login item to the correct login id, that changes the value of the "year" field in the saved form details. I tried changing that back but it seems the two are linked in a way which means whichever is changed, the other automatically takes the value it is changed to.

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@gengakusha:

It is possible that the website is seeing that field as the wrong type then. I will reach out to our browser experts and see if they have any tips for you :+1:

• gengakusha
    gengakusha
    Community Member
    Options

@ag_ana
    Thank you, that would be good. Since the login works, it's not a major problem but it would be nice to tidy things up.

I hadn't expected an answer at the weekend. Great service!

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@gengakusha:

I hadn't expected an answer at the weekend. Great service!

Thank you for the kind words :)

I will update this post as soon as I hear back :+1:

• ag_yaron
    ag_yaron
    1Password Alumni
    edited July 2020
    Options

Hey @gengakusha ,

Ana's suggestion here was what I would suggest as well, adding the "year" field as a custom field in the login. Not sure why it is not working, but I can't really access that login page and play with it.
    From what I can gather so far, it seems that there's a bunch of stuff going on in that page, and putting the year in the Username field is 1Password's only way to "guess" where that field should be autofilled.

If you'd like us to take a better look at this website, feel free to email us the full URL (with the digits) to support+extensions@1password.com with a link to this discussion and I'll gladly take a look at it when I can, perhaps I'll be able to find a way to make ti work without using the "Username" field for the year.

• gengakusha
    gengakusha
    Community Member
    Options

Thanks @ag_yaron

I should have commented on the custom field part. I'd assumed that Ana's implied meaning was to create a custom field for the year if I needed that to be displayed in the login item. It would have been nice but it is not essential. I can't display the whole date as the era is chosen from a list and the value is the list index rather than the name which appears. Without that name the date would look odd so it's not important. I did double check to see if adding a custom field would allow me to edit the username label but it didn't so I left it at that.

I've sent the URL to the support mail address but please note that:
    1. I've managed to find the way to manually adjust what displays as username
    2. Although I realise identifying what caused the problem may not be worth your time if it's just this site, I do have a request ;)

First the fix. I hadn't noticed that in displaying the saved form details while in edit mode shows a column where the flag for username and login can be toggled. Toggling the login_id field to "username" makes the value display in the username field of the login item and obviously removes the flag from "year" since it has to be unique.

The feature request is to add another value to this list of flags if possible. At the moment the only possible values are username, password or nul. If that list could be populated with the names of custom fields that have been added to that login item it would allow the values to be linked to saved form details giving an easy way to change them if they have to change.

I must say that I've been a happy user of 1Password for 10 years (almost to the day) but the speed and level of support in these challenging times is very impressive.

Thank you

• ag_yaron
    ag_yaron
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hey @gengakusha,
    I'm glad to hear that overall you managed to get things working as you want them to.

Thanks for the feedback and kind words as well! We're always glad to hear that people enjoy 1Password for so long, and we're always here to help and improve it when needed.

As for the saved form details - our ultimate goal is to get rid of that section completely. We don't want users to have to learn how to mess with stuff there in order to make 1Password do its job. We prefer improving 1Password's autofilling abilities and logic, so you won't have to deal with that stuff, and that is exactly what we’re working on constantly.

For that reason, we currently do not consider new feature requests or improvements to the saved web form details section. Hopefully it won’t be too long until we can actually remove it from our apps.

That said, using custom fields should currently be your Go-To method for working with problematic websites. If a custom field’s name is identical to the HTML name or ID of a field on a website, 1Password should match and autofill the field using that custom field in the login item. That is why we suggested creating a new “year” field in the login item, as the HTML code you provided here shows the field’s name is actually “year” and is of type=“text”, so a simple custom field was supposed to work (not that “year” should be all lowercase, as it is case sensitive).

I hope you’ll find that information useful for now, and if not, we’re always happy to help with autofilling issues so please don’t feel as if you’re wasting our time. We use problematic websites as test cases for our autofilling mechanism and that is how we improve 1Password further.

This discussion has been closed.