New to 1PW. chrome extension on windows is enabled but it won't save or fill

I can manually enter login info in vault. When in an edit field on login screen I can bring up mini 1password (using keystroke combo control+alt+tab+backslash) and see the list of logins in my vault. pressing enter on the 1 I want does nothing. 1password never offers me an opportunity to save login info when I login on a website 1password doesn't know about. ** I am blind and using computer with JAWS screen reader.

1Password Version: current as of july, 2020; just downloaded a week a
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided
Referrer: forum-search:extension for chrome not saving or filling

Comments

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

Hi @tkurys1!

1password never offers me an opportunity to save login info when I login on a website 1password doesn't know about.

Can you please let us know the exact version of the 1Password browser extension that you have installed in your browser? You posted in the 1Password X forum, so I assume that this is the extension that you are using, which would also explain the behavior you are seeing: 1Password X does not communicate with the 1Password desktop app, which is why it's not filling from 1Password mini.

To fill with 1Password X, you only need to unlock the 1Password X browser extension in your browser, and 1Password X will show you a list of logins when you go to a login form.

• tkurys1
    tkurys1
    Community Member

I actually have no idea if I have extension x; is there more than 1 chrome extension for 1password? How would I find out the version of chrome extension I have? The person who was helping me figure this out said that I would use mini-1password to accomplish fill from the vault. In any event, I have chrome extension enabled in chrome and neither save or fill are happening. The response did not move me toward resolution. Please help.

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

@tkurys1:

I actually have no idea if I have extension x; is there more than 1 chrome extension for 1password?

Yes, we have two: 1Password X (which, as I said, works entirely in the browser with no communication to 1Password or 1Password mini), and the companion browser extension (desktop app required), which sounds like the one you need to use.

How would I find out the version of chrome extension I have?

1. Visit the Extensions page in Chrome: chrome://extensions/
    2. Click on the Details button in the 1Password extension entry for the exact version

However, for this, you technically don't even need to step 2: if Chrome tells you that the name of the installed extension is "1Password X", you have found your culprit.

The person who was helping me figure this out said that I would use mini-1password to accomplish fill from the vault.

That is true, but only with the companion browser extension. If you installed 1Password X instead, this won't work the way you are expecting, and you need the companion browser extension instead.

This discussion has been closed.