Is it a good idea to store your Master Password in the 1Pass app on your iPhone and iPad?

Options
jazzman
jazzman
Community Member

Is there any reason not to store your Master Password in the 1Pass app in iOS?

Also, I noticed in iOS, there's an area for a one-time password. Please explain exactly how that works.

Comments

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @jazzman!

Is there any reason not to store your Master Password in the 1Pass app in iOS?

It's because it wouldn't be very useful: if you forget your Master Password, and you cannot access your 1Password data, storing your Master Password inside the app would not help you recover access. It would be like leaving your car keys in the car and then lock it :)

Also, I noticed in iOS, there's an area for a one-time password. Please explain exactly how that works.

You can find the tutorial in this documentation page:

Use 1Password as an authenticator for sites with two-factor authentication

• jazzman
    jazzman
    Community Member
    Options

Hi @ag_ana!

I guess that makes sense although I have face recognition activated in iOS so I can enter 1Pass that way. However, if somehow my iPad and iPhone go down, I'd be in trouble. My wife and I both have an iPhone and iPad, and I can store the Master Password on each and in a Safe Deposit Box. Considering that, would it be wise to store the MP on all of those devices or not? Would I be compromising my security in any way? Is there anything I'm missing here?

• SvenS1P
    Options

You have nothing to fear by storing your Master Password inside the app, @jazzman! It gets encrypted exactly the same way as any other item would, and there isn't any issue with doing that. In fact, depending on your account type and when you created it, we automatically store your Secret Key and Master Password in your Private/Personal vault. The item is tagged with the "Starter Kit" tag, so this is the easiest way to find it.

As Ana said, you shouldn't rely on your sign in details stored in 1Password to recover your account; you should store your Emergency Kit somewhere safe to have a physical copy of your account details outside of 1Password. However, having my Master Password in 1Password means I can quickly sign in to 1Password accounts I rarely use without having to dig out my Emergency Kit from its safe place.

• jazzman
    jazzman
    Community Member
    Options

Hi @Matthew_1P!

Thank you for your answer. Please explain the Emergency Kit to me. I'm not familiar with that. Also, I have a standalone version of 1Pass so I don't have a Secret Key that I'm aware of. I do have a physical copy of my account details stored off premises in the event of a disaster. The reason for my inquiry was just to see if it was ok to store my password in the app itself on my iOS devices. I just wanted to know if there was any security reason not to do that. thanks for your help.

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@jazzman:

Please explain the Emergency Kit to me. I'm not familiar with that.

This documentation page tells you everything there is to know about the Emergency Kit:

Get to know your Emergency Kit

Also, I have a standalone version of 1Pass so I don't have a Secret Key that I'm aware of.

Correct, only users with a 1Password subscription have a Secret Key and an Emergency Kit :+1:

• FragileBits
    FragileBits
    Community Member
    Options

Perhaps I might also add a thought?

Another possibility is for users not only to store their Master Password in 1Password, but also to move or copy it to a shared vault (in @jazzman 's case, perhaps one that you might share with your wife for this and other handy purposes).

If you forget your password, the person sharing that vault can then help you by "sharing" the password back to you (eg via email) from within their own account / app / device.

The obvious caveat is that users should only do this with someone they trust fully - and in whose own security practices they also absolutely trust (including them having a strong Master Password of their own).

https://support.1password.com/create-share-vaults/

https://support.1password.com/family-sharing/

This discussion has been closed.