1P sees accounts on new machine?

Options
BobW
BobW
Community Member

I have a MacBook Pro that was running Mojave. I booted into recovery mode and used Disk Utility to reformat the drive, I reinstalled Mojave, and then updated to Catalina. I didn't care about the data on the computer before, so I didn't do any sort of backup or restore.

After doing a few miscellaneous OS configuration things, I went to the 1P site and downloaded the installer. I ran it and installed 1P. I then opened 1P and was greeted by the expected window asking me to create an account, sign into one, etc. I pulled out my iPad and navigated to the QR code that makes new installs easy, then selected to log into a family account and put in my e-mail address. 1P came back and said it sees two account on the machine. Both were my personal family accounts, so that's fine, but where did it pull that account information from? Also, when I selected one of them, it prompted me for the password on the account and then went right into it. It didn't ask me for the secret key. I then selected the other one and the same thing happened. I don't understand how it can work this way after I had just reformatted the drive and reinstalled the OS from scratch. What am I missing?

I did have an account on the machine before, but that was logged into yet another 1P account, and I didn't even use the same machine username. The only thing I can think of is that 1P pulled the information based on my Apple ID, but I still don't see how it could complete the process without me scanning a barcode or manually entering the secret key.

I've installed or reinstalled 1P on quite a few machines, and I don't recall this ever happening before. I'm very confused!

1Password Version: 7.6
Extension Version: 7.6
OS Version: 10.15.6
Sync Type: family accounts

Comments

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @BobW!

1P came back and said it sees two account on the machine. Both were my personal family accounts, so that's fine, but where did it pull that account information from?

If you have iCloud Keychain enabled on the machine, the information is coming from there.

The only thing I can think of is that 1P pulled the information based on my Apple ID, but I still don't see how it could complete the process without me scanning a barcode or manually entering the secret key.

With iCloud Keychain enabled, 1Password can store your account list there to make it easier for you to configure a new device. In these cases, the Secret Key is securely stored in your Apple ID, so you only have to enter your Master Password to enter your account on a new device ;)

• BobW
    BobW
    Community Member
    Options

That's gotta be it, and it makes complete sense. I always keep that turned off (all my info is in 1P!), so I wouldn't have ever seen this before. However, this time, I'd accidentally signed into the wrong iCloud account, and when I changed over, I probably missed switching that setting.

Sanity restored. Thank you :).

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni
    Options

You are welcome @BobW! I am glad I could help :)

If you have any other questions, please feel free to reach out anytime.

Have a wonderful day :)

This discussion has been closed.