Show master password while typing

Options
jeffkmeng
jeffkmeng
Community Member
edited July 2020 in Mac

Is there a way to show what I am typing when I'm typing in my 1password master password?

It's really annoying when I can't quickly fix typos by looking at the password, and literally 99% of the time I'm at home, alone, and nobody is behind me, so showing the password offers no real security risk.

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided
Referrer: forum-search:Show master password while typing

Comments

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @jeffkmeng!

Is there a way to show what I am typing when I'm typing in my 1password master password?

This is not possible I am afraid.

It's really annoying when I can't quickly fix typos by looking at the password, and literally 99% of the time I'm at home, alone, and nobody is behind me, so showing the password offers no real security risk.

I understand what you mean. You should however remember that, just because you are in this position 99% of the time, it doesn't mean that every other user has the same luxury. In general, not showing the Master Password is the most secure behavior, and since 1Password is security software, we believe that this is the correct choice.

• jeffkmeng
    jeffkmeng
    Community Member
    Options

Hi @ag_ana ,

I’m not suggesting that the password is shown by default, I’m just suggesting that you add a button that will show the password when clicked.
    I’m afraid I don’t understand why this would decrease security.

• Furzul
    Furzul
    Community Member
    edited July 2020
    Options

I agree about the button, this would be an excellent idea. I have seen a lot of websites with a ‘show password’ button next to the password box. My master password is 28 characters long and a nuisance to retype if I make a mistake.

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@jeffkmeng, @Furzul:

Thank you both for the feedback! To avoid giving you false hopes, I must tell you that we don't have any plans to change this, but your thoughts are absolutely welcome :+1:

This discussion has been closed.