1passwordX beta unable to establish connection with desktop app

I'm running version 1.21.1 on Chrome 84.0.4147.89 on Catalina 10.15.6 and the connection with the desktop app stopped working. Is this a known issue, or do I need to update?

Thanks

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• TravelSD
    TravelSD
    Community Member
    edited July 2020

Same problem here, with MS Edge on Catalina. 1PasswordX Beta 1.21.1, and Desktop 7.7 Beta.

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

Hi @cgadener!

What version of the 1Password for Mac app are you currently running?

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

@TravelSD:

Did this start happening right after the update to the latest 7.7 beta, or was it happening before that too?

• TravelSD
    TravelSD
    Community Member

@ag_ana Well it's been broken in the past too (Chrome 1.20.x extension), opened a support ticket, and gave up on trying to fix it. Extremely frustrating. Just got on the 1.21.1 and 7.7 beta train and wanted desktop integration to work....but it's broken.

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

@TravelSD:

Well it's been broken in the past too (Chrome 1.20.x extension), opened a support ticket, and gave up on trying to fix it.

Well, we are always here if you change your mind :+1: Feel free to reply to that old support ticket or to open a new one if you feel you are ready to investigate this.

Just got on the 1.21.1 and 7.7 beta train and wanted desktop integration to work....but it's broken.

Indeed, there is a reason why the feature is still in beta :) If you want it to just work, I recommend waiting for the feature to be released to the stable version of 1Password X, instead of remaining on the beta channel :+1:

• RHT673
    RHT673
    Community Member

i think I have the same issue - the finger print unlock on the Chrome plug-in just stopped working today. Is that the same issue?

• ag_yaron
    ag_yaron
    1Password Alumni
    edited July 2020

Hey @RHT673 ,

If you're using 1Password 7 Beta for Mac, and 1Password X Beta in your browser and they used to work with Touch ID, then yes it might be the same issue.
    If your setup is different, then it is probably a different issue. Let us know the versions of your desktop app and extension (and operating system) so we can figure this out.

If the desktop app integration stops working for you guys, here are some basic troubleshooting suggestions that should fix it in most cases (in escalating order, so test if it is working after each step before moving to the next):

• Quit the browser and relaunch it.
    • Right click 1Password X's extension icon in the browser and select "Settings", then turn off desktop app integration and turn it back on.
    • Right click the 1Password mini icon in your Mac's menu bar and select "Quit 1Password Completely", then relaunch 1Password and unlock it.
    • Restart your Mac, open 1Password 7 first, and only then launch your browser.
    • Open the 1Password 7 desktop app, select the "Help" menu in your Mac's top menu bar and navigate to "Troubleshooting" -> "Reset 1Password X Device Keys".
    • If you're using Edge beta or Chrome Canary or any other version that is not stable, this might help as well.

In case none of the above worked, feel free to email us all the details with the extensions log to support+extensions@1password.com and we'll be happy to investigate and help you get things working.

• RHT673
    RHT673
    Community Member

Thank you AG, that is the set up I have and it worked!! Appreciated

• ag_yaron
    ag_yaron
    1Password Alumni

I'm glad to hear it! :+1:

• atwixtor
    atwixtor
    Community Member

Open the 1Password 7 desktop app, select the "Help" menu in your Mac's top menu bar and navigate to "Troubleshooting" -> "Reset 1Password X Device Keys".

This helped me on Sierra when nothing else did. I keep getting locked out in the beta extension in Chrome from my non-personal vault (organization managed). This fixes it, but I need to sign in to everything again.

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

@atwixtor:

Can you please clarify what you mean by "getting locked out"?

• atwixtor
    atwixtor
    Community Member

Sure. In the Beta chrome extension settings, at the bottom, it shows the vaults. I usually am signed into 2: 1 personal, and one from my work organization. Every time I restart the browser one or both get signed out and say “locked” — there is a padlock icon next to it. I have to remove the vault and then click Sign into another account to get it back in. THEN I need to do the fix above to reconnect to the desktop app.

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

@atwixtor:

Thank you for the clarification! I believe that this is normal behavior in 1Password X if those accounts have different Master Passwords (in other words, 1Password X does not behave like the desktop apps when it comes to this). Is it possible this might be the case for you?

This discussion has been closed.