In 1Password 7 on my iMac, how do I significantly lower the frequency of 1P asking me to sign in?

RTM
RTM
Community Member

I've set it at 120 minutes after going to sleep but the MPW request still comes up too often. I'm the only one using 1P at my home in a very secure setting of just me and my wife, and she isn't using 1P because she has very little activity and any new app or change causes considerable confusion. Isn't there a way to turn it off except after a reboot for instance?

1Password Version: 7.6
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided
Referrer: forum-search:In 1Password 7 on my iMac, how do I significantly lower the frequency of 1P asking me to sign in?

Comments

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

Hi @RTM! Welcome to the forum!

I've set it at 120 minutes after going to sleep but the MPW request still comes up too often

I am not aware of a settings that locks 1Password after the computer goes to sleep for a specific amount of time. Can you please clarify where you changed this setting, so I can make sure we are on the same page? Thank you!

• RTM
    RTM
    Community Member

Thanks for your prompt reply. I think you're right, ag_ana, I was looking at another line on the Security tab of 1P Preferences, "Clear clipboard content after ### seconds" which I'd set at 120 seconds thinking it was a way to hold off the1P asking me to enter my 1P MP. However I have all of the Auto-Lock items unchecked yet 1P asked for my MP again when I woke up my Mac this am. If that's all it does, I can live with that, but it still seems as if it's frequently asking me to do it from time to time during my working day at the Mac.

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

@RTM:

There is no way to keep 1Password always unlocked: certain system events (like rebooting your machine, for example), will lock 1Password despite your auto-lock settings. You can extend them manually as you see fit, but there is no way to extend them forever.

When you say that 1Password locked during the day for you, do you mean the desktop app, or the browser extension? If you are using 1Password X in your browser, for example, that extension will have its own auto-lock settings, independent from the desktop app. I wonder if this would help explain what you are seeing.

• RTM
    RTM
    Community Member

Thanks again, ag_ana. I don't have a problem with needing to unlock 1P when rebooting--perfectly understandable. As for which I was using when the more frequent unlock requests came up I'm not sure. It may have been the browser extension (Safari) rather than the 1P 7 desktop version. I didn't realize there were different settings between the two so will keep an eye on that. By the way, which is the better way to use it, assuming I have the option, the desktop or the browser extension? And if the latter, which works better, Safari or Chrome? 1P is brand new to me; I'd been using LastPass for a number of years and liked it. Only switched because my LP vault was corrupted, apparently due to a failing hard drive, which has since been replaced. I do like 1P but find it not as easy to learn. Perhaps it's more flexible in many ways but I think LP was easier to use, a bit more intuitive. But I'm not thinking about going back, at least not yet. I've accumulated a number of questions and I'll just send an email to 1P support soon.

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni
    edited July 2020

@RTM:

By the way, which is the better way to use it, assuming I have the option, the desktop or the browser extension?

I personally use both, but 1Password really shines with the browser extension installed. Otherwise you would need to copy and paste everything from the desktop app, which would not be very fun :/

The reason I mentioned the browser extension is because currently we have two: the companion browser extension and 1Password X. The companion browser extension talks to the desktop app and follows its lock settings. 1Password X, on the other hand, is a newer independent extension that works entirely in the browser, and does not talk to the desktop app. This one has its own lock settings at the moment, so I was wondering if you might be using that one.

And if the latter, which works better, Safari or Chrome?

In my experience, this is very subjective: the best one is the one you are most comfortable with. The latest beta of 1Password completely replaced the browser extension to make it more similar to what you would see if you used 1Password X in Chrome, so moving forward there should not be as many differences.

I've accumulated a number of questions and I'll just send an email to 1P support soon.

We are always here to help :) After you have sent the email, please feel free to post the ticket number you received so we can locate your message and connect it with this forum discussion.

Looking forward to your message!

• RTM
    RTM
    Community Member

Thanks again, ag_ana. You've been great, and very patient with me. I must admit that 1P support is so significantly greater than LastPass that it makes a huge difference. As to the first point and the fact that I'm running Safari as my default browser, would there be any reason for me to be using 1Password X, since thought that was for browsers other than Safari? As for the second point, Safari or Chrome, I've long been a user of Chrome, yet every so often (and more and more frequently) I get so fed up with the way Chrome hogs memory I'll switch to Firefox. But for the past several weeks I've been trying to get used to Safari and use it exclusively. Yes, my Mac is running more efficiently but, yes, I do miss some of Chrome's good features. I will try to stick with Safari as long as I can though unless some final release (not beta) of 1P pushes me in a different direction. Next up is for me to get my email of questions off to 1P Support. and will respond with the ticket number when received.

• Thanks for the kind words, @RTM. 1Password X is not currently available for Safari, so that pretty well makes the decision for you. ;)

Ben

• RTM
    RTM
    Community Member

Thanks, Ben. Although I'm trying to stay with Safari, would it be worthwhile trying 1P X in Chrome so see if its additional features (whatever they may be) would suit me better?

• I don't see how it could hurt to try it. :) You can read more about 1Password X here:

Get to know 1Password X

Ben

• RTM
    RTM
    Community Member

I will give it a try, but down the road a bit. I want to more fully understand what I'm working with now with Safari and getting all of that going smoothly. I also have the problem of updating the many blank (except for the URL) Passwords I imported from my corrupted LastPass vault. That's going to take some time in itself. But thanks for the suggestion and info about it.

• Sure thing. Please let us know if there is anything we can help with along the way.

Ben

• RTM
    RTM
    Community Member

Another query, Ben, that's somewhat related to the earlier discussion. Have you or any 1Password Users had any experience using the Brave browser, and is it just as compatible with 1P as is Chrome. Does it work as well with 1P X? I have long used Chrome yet every so often get rather fed up with it for hogging so much memory, and also for some of the less favorable, we might say, Google policies. I've often gone to Firefox, which is very good in some respects yet still lacks Chrome's great features. And for the last few weeks I've really been trying hard to give Safari an honest try, but... I've been reading a lot about Brave lately and it seems to be gaining traction rather fast. Any thoughts?

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

@RTM:

Have you or any 1Password Users had any experience using the Brave browser, and is it just as compatible with 1P as is Chrome. Does it work as well with 1P X?

Yes, it will work just as well since Brave is actually based on Chromium :)

I know some of us use Brave as their main browser (I personally don't), but I have not had any issues when I had to use it.

• RTM
    RTM
    Community Member

And I thank you once again! It's really great working with you. I take it Ben was just covering when you had a day off.

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

@RTM:

You are very welcome! Always a pleasure :)

This discussion has been closed.