1Password7 Master Password for Multiple Accounts

I am using 1Password7 with multiple accounts: One personal and now 2 accounts for businesses that I work with. I added the 2nd business account yesterday, and had trouble logging into 1Password7 on Mac OSX. Before adding the new business account, the app was expecting the master password for my personal account. I found out that the problem was that the app is not expecting the master password for the existing business account.

How can I change the master password for my Mac? All the information that I have found doesn't seem to point to what I see on my Mac.

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• BenBen AWS Team

Team Member

Hi @stevetfidalgo

The way unlocking 1Password works is:

• If a single 1Password.com account is logged in then 1Password will unlock using the Master Password for that account.
    • If multiple 1Password.com accounts are logged in then 1Password will unlock using the Master Password of the first account that was added.
    • If a Primary vault exists 1Password will always unlock using the Master Password for that vault. This supersedes all of the previous rules. [This is not a recommended configuration]

If you'd like to change this you can reset 1Password for Mac using Help > Troubleshooting > Reset All 1Password Data, and then sign into the account you want to use to unlock 1Password with first. We are evaluating this behavior as it becomes more and more common that folks have multiple 1Password accounts. It may make sense to handle this differently going forward.

Ben

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file