To protect your privacy: email us with billing or account questions instead of posting here.

How do I know if 1Password is working for me or not?

dbos00
dbos00
Community Member
edited August 2020 in Memberships

Questions=
Moving from dashlane to 1Password do I need to be doing something? Also it seems I’ll still be using the same password for most logins is that how it works.
I’m still feeling my way around and am not sure if you’re controlling passwords or not.
Thanks Don

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• dbos00
    dbos00
    Community Member

I’m using windows and Apple.

• plttn
    plttn
    Community Member

As long as all your passwords are in 1Password and you're updating that from now on when you're changing passwords, you're all set.

A site you're using has no idea if you're using a password manager or not, let alone which password manager you're using.

• dbos00
    dbos00
    Community Member

How do I get all passwords to 1Password? I’m using mostly my same passwords as before.

• Hi @dbos00

It looks like @plttn has got you started here but I wanted to follow up and see if we can close the gap. The first step here would be to get your current data into 1Password. The link plttn posted just above (this one) should help in getting your data over from Dashlane. Once your data is in 1Password the next goal would be to learn a bit about how the apps work, and how to access your data within your web browser. We have a guide about that here:

Get started with 1Password

(you can start at step 3)

After you've start to get comfortable with how 1Password works, I'd recommend starting the process of changing your passwords to secure unique ones generated by 1Password. You can learn how to do that in this guide:

Change your passwords and make them stronger

Reusing passwords is one of the biggest sources of difficulty for people when it comes to online security. The problem is that if someone is able to steal your password from one site they now are going to try that same password on every other site. If you're using the same one for all of them... they've got access to your whole digital life. It happens far too often, I'm afraid. So having a unique password for every site should be on the to-do list. That said, you don't have to sit down and do them all at once. It's up to you, but I sometimes recommend to folks who find spending a few hours changing passwords to be a daunting task, it may make sense to simply change passwords as you need to access a site. E.g. the next time you go to buy something on Amazon, change your Amazon password.

1Password can help you keep track of which passwords need to be changed through our Watchtower feature. Watchtower keeps an eye out for weak, reused, breached, etc passwords. You can learn more about how Watchtower can help here:

Use Watchtower to find passwords you need to change

That way you don't have to keep track of which passwords you need to change and which you already have: Watchtower will tell you which still need attention.

That should hopefully be a good starting point, but certainly as you get going if you have any questions we'll be here to help. :)

Ben

This discussion has been closed.