Switches back to default language on Mac

Options
wmbatista
wmbatista
Community Member

Hello folks,

I have the updated version of 1Password on my Mac and I have experienced a few issues with the language in the app. I'm a Portuguese speaker but unfortunately the translation to Brazilian Portuguese has a few issues including labels poorly or not translated. Therefore I decided to change the app language to English (via Mac Language & Region config, as this option is not available in the app itself). But whenever I close 1Password or restart the machine, it switches back to Portuguese, probably due to the fact that it's macOS default language. Also, even when the app is is English, categories are presented in Portuguese. This behaviour is not seen in the iOS app, where I'm able to 1Password to English, despite iOS is in Portuguese.

Can you folks please fix this behaviour, so I can keep 1Password in the selected language? Better yet, an improved translation to Brazilian Portuguese would be great!

Thank you!

1Password Version: 7.6
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: macOS 10.15.5
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @wmbatista! Welcome to the forum!

1Password for Mac will base its language on the macOS language, so if that remained set to Portuguese for you, this explains what you are seeing. I am not aware of a way to change the language of 1Password without changing the language in macOS.

Better yet, an improved translation to Brazilian Portuguese would be great!

We will certainly be happy to fix the translation if you could report to us the strings that are not translated properly. Or please also let me know if you would like to be invited to our translation platform, I can try to see if we can get you an invite :)

• wmbatista
    wmbatista
    Community Member
    Options

Hi @ag_ana, I would accept to participate in the translation, please let me know how. I have also found labels that are not consistently capitalized, I would love to see them corrected as well!

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@wmbatista:

Thank you! We have some volunteers helping us with translations on crowdin, do you happen to have an account there?

• wmbatista
    wmbatista
    Community Member
    Options

Hi @ag_ana, just created one and had a quick look at it. It seems that many labels in the tool lack context, it's a common complaint by other users for what I've seen, but I'll check if I can help with the translation. Thanks for the help!

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Thank you for the help @wmbatista! :)

• wmbatista
    wmbatista
    Community Member
    Options

@ag_ana, if I may still suggest to have an option to choose the language independently from the OS... it would be a great feature and it's already present in iOS. :)

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni
    edited August 2020
    Options

Thank you for the suggestion @wmbatista! I will share your feedback with the team :+1:

ref: dev/projects/customer-feature-requests#281

This discussion has been closed.