To protect your privacy: email us with billing or account questions instead of posting here.

add a customer Service password

Options
alistairmck
alistairmck
Community Member
edited August 2020 in Memberships

hi, I've had 1password for about 3 years but recently started thinking about custom fields etc. I use the same password for when I call up a company e.g. Sky and give my password over to customer service rep, but recently sky have started saying characters say 1, 5, 10 of my password. what's the best way of getting this into 1password

thanks

1Password Version: 7.6
Extension Version: 7.6
OS Version: 10.15.6
_Sync Type: 1password

Comments

• Ben
    Options

Hi @alistairmck

The Large Type feature of 1Password may be able to help in this case. In 1Password for Mac, find the password in question, and then click on the downward arrow next to the 'copy' button. There you'll see the Large Type option. When selected 1Password will open a window with the password in large text, and each character of the password will be numbered. You can see an example here:

I hope that helps. Should you have any other questions or concerns, please feel free to ask.

Ben

• XIII
    XIII
    Community Member
    Options

Does this mean that Sky stores passwords in plain text?!

• rudy
    Options

@XIII,

That's how i read it.

• alistairmck
    alistairmck
    Community Member
    edited August 2020
    Options

Hi, sorry for the confusion. not my sky website password, when I call sky for account related issues, My customer service asks for say characters password which is different from the website password. My sky website password is 32 characters in it. When I call sky my password/phrase is only 6 characters

• Ben
    Ben
    edited August 2020
    Options

I'm not sure I follow, @alistairmck. The characters they ask for are characters from your existing password, correct? e.g. the 1st, 3rd, 5th, 6th, 8th, and 10th characters of the existing password? If that's true then Large Type should help, but as XIII pointed out this indicates Sky is storing your password in plain-text.

Ben

• alistairmck
    alistairmck
    Community Member
    Options

hi @Ben no they are never asked me for characters from my 32 website password, alway been from my 6 character password when I call them up. really I'm wanting to turn my 6 character password into say 30 or 40 characters, so can ask me for say characters 1, 10 25. sorry for all the confusion probably me not explaining very well.

• XIII
    XIII
    Community Member
    edited August 2020
    Options

If I understand @alistairmck correctly it's more a security question than a password, but instead of giving the full answer to that question (s)he has to answer certain characters of that word (which might be gibberish). This word is then known in plain text by Sky, but not the regular password.

If that's indeed the case I would store this word (or set of characters) as a custom entry of type password. Then you can still use the Large Type feature, as @Ben suggested.

• I'd agree with @XIII here, @alistairmck. I once had a bank that asked for a similar thing. Back then, I was still remembering my passwords (don't tell my teammates :wink:), but if I had the same today, that's how I'd handle it. You can add a custom password field to your Sky Login item for this separate password, then use the Large Type feature so you know which characters to give them. :+1:

• alistairmck
    alistairmck
    Community Member
    Options

hi @xlll and @bundtkate yes, this is exactly correct. its more of a passphrase then anything. tell you why, when I used to be on EE, I've used 6 characters as a passphrase when I was on there and other accounts when I called up customer services. but as me and my brother phones was on same EE account, but account was in my name and my brother used to call EE, he gave my name and passphrase and they wasn't any the wiser that he wasn't me.

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@alistairmck:

Thank you for the confirmation. I believe in this scenario using Large Type will be the best way to do it :+1:

This discussion has been closed.