Master password does not work with secret key, and other questions

Options
reebs26
reebs26
Community Member

Hi, I'm helping my business partner clean up his 1password, which is a disaster zone. We're encountering a lot of issues and need some help:

On his computer, he's got a primary account and then another account that has multiple vaults. The primary account is synced to icloud. The others are not listed under Preferences > Sync. I have learned that you can only back up the primary account (or any one account) can be backed up on icloud. So, I switched him to dropbox.

I wanted to sync the non-primary vaults to Dropbox, but I can't figure out how to get the other vaults listed under Preferences > Sync on either his Mac desktop 10.14.16 or his iphone 10 so that I can sync them with Dropbox.

Further, when I try to login online to his Mac or go to Settings > Accounts on his iphone, it says "Sign in to your 1Password Account" and "Add existing account." When I "add existing account" and either scan the emergency kit or hand-enter the secret key, the master password does not work. But the master password works otherwise to get into the program on both his Mac and iphone. Maybe I don't need to add an account, but when I go to Preferences > Accounts on his Mac, I can see his account. I cannot see it on his iphone.

I'm sure there are many more problems to be encountered, but these first ones are stumping me.

Thank you!

1Password Version: 7.6
Extension Version: 7.6
OS Version: OS 10.14.16
Sync Type: icloud, now dropbox
Referrer: forum-search:master password doesn't work with secret key

Comments

• reebs26
    reebs26
    Community Member
    Options

Update: I'd forgotten that 1password used to have a standalone model, so I was wondering if that was the case here. When I went to 1Password > License, it said that he has a 1Password membership for Mac that was purchased today. We did not purchase anything today that I was aware of. I feel like I'm going crazy!

• Corey_C
    Corey_C
    Community Member
    Options

Hi there @reebs26

There are a few things going on here, but they all have to do with the two different ways you can use 1Password and confusion over which one you are using. The two ways to use 1Password are standalone or with a membership account.

Standalone 1Password involves setting up and maintaining sync and backup on your own using 3rd party services whereas memberships have all of that taken care of automatically by the built-in 1Password service. With a membership no external service nor any setup or maintenance is required.

Just to make sure we are on the same page here "accounts" for 1Password refer exclusively to memberships. There is no such thing as a "standalone account".

Okay, so, from your description your business partner has as follows: a standalone vault called Primary, as well as a membership with several vaults in it. There is little reason to do this. We do not recommend that people use standalone vaults alongside memberships for the reason that it causes trouble and confusion.

The reason that the Primary vault is the only one that displays in the Sync tab of Preferences is because it's the only vault that needs to have sync configured. The membership vaults all sync through your membership, no setup or 3rd party services required. Connect your devices to your membership and all of the data and vaults will be synced.

Now, the Master Password issue. That is also the fault of the Primary vault sticking around. The important thing about a Primary standalone vault is that it has its own Master Password and as long as that vault remains, that is the Master Password that will be required to unlock the application. However, the Master Password you chose when creating your membership remains the Master Password for your membership. These two Master Passwords can be different So when you try to add a device to your membership, the Master Password for your membership is what is required. If is different from the one you set for the Primary vault, then typing in the one from the Primary vault won't work.

So, what do we do about it? First off, does your business partner remember the Master Password they used when creating their account? If they do, great, use that to connect to the account. If they don't we will have to see what we can do about that. Second, we usually want to move any important data out of that Primary vault and into a membership one, although we can discuss how and if to make that work once we figure out what they can access.

This discussion has been closed.