Can’t update any passwords

nickcope
nickcope
Community Member
edited August 2020 in iOS

What am I doing wrong? When using iOS to update an old password on one of my existing accounts, I enter the current password, then when I tap the ‘enter new password’ field, I tap the key icon to bring up 1Password menus. In those menus I have to enter the current password again (why?), then for ‘new password’ I use the 1Password generate password button. But all it does is fill the existing password field instead of the new password field. I don’t get it...

Comments

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

Hi @nickcope! Welcome to the forum!

Can you let us know what website this is happening with? If you could share a full URL, we will be happy to test this.

• nickcope
    nickcope
    Community Member

So far it’s every website I’ve tried this with: Amazon, Airbnb & invaluable.com

• nickcope
    nickcope
    Community Member

I’m iOS 13.6

• nickcope
    nickcope
    Community Member

Friend of mine uses 1Password - I’ll get him to show me how he uses it, so I can see if I’m just using it incorrectly. I’ll let you know

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

@nickcope:

It's possible that you might have encountered a bug that our developers are aware of: in certain cases, updating an account password through the change password form could currently cause the existing password to be replaced by mistake. If that's the bug you encountered, we hopefully will have a fix soon.

Otherwise it's certainly worth double checking the process you are following, just in case. If your friends sees the same behavior, it's very possible you encountered this bug I mentioned :+1:

• nickcope
    nickcope
    Community Member

Ok. What’s the workaround? Do it on a laptop instead?

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

@nickcope:

Let 1Password create the password for you, store it, and copy and paste it in the right field. It's an extra step, but once the filling part will have been addressed, you can start automating that step again :)

This discussion has been closed.