Can't change master password from iOS

tompacyk
tompacyk
Community Member

Just had a very strange experience changing my master password and I think I’ve effectively been locked out.

On iPadOS, using v7.6.2, I used the 1P app to change my master password. Entered old one successfully, populated the 2 password fields with the new one. After hitting the Change Password button nothing happened — no response from the app.

Waited a second and hit it again. Nothing. Tried tapping it a third time with no error or message. Finally started backspacing out some of the characters from the first field thinking I possibly had a typo and after removing just a few characters I got a message that my password had been changed successfully. This seemed very strange because it was such a delay and because now the two password fields actually had a different number of characters.

Now neither my old nor new password works. I tried every truncated version fo the new password as well, removing 1 character at a time thinking it somehow matched the 2 passwords up to a point.

On my iPhone I can still authenticate with Face ID (for now) and try to change the password. When I’m prompted for my current password the app accepts the old master password, but after I fill out the 2 password fields with a new one and press “Change Account Password” button, nothing happens. No error, no change. Nothing back from the app about why this action didn't do anything.

Please help!

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• tompacyk
    tompacyk
    Community Member

Doing some more research, this is essentially the same behavior someone experienced last month: https://discussions.agilebits.com/discussion/114070/ui-did-not-confirm-master-password-change-master-password-changed-and-cant-unlock

Was there an internal resolution to that thread?

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

Hi @tompacyk!

Was there an internal resolution to that thread?

I have checked our systems and I could not find an email follow up from that discussion, so it's possible that the issue went away by itself. I would like to ask you to generate a diagnostics report from your iOS device and email it to us to support+forum@agilebits.com though, so we can take a closer look at why this is happening to you.

After you have sent the email, please feel free to post the ticket number you received so we can locate your message and connect it with this forum discussion.

Looking forward to your message!

• tompacyk
    tompacyk
    Community Member

Done. #YBN-53876-288

Is there any hope I can recover from this or should I delete my account and start over? I managed to export the content from all of my vaults by accessing a Mac that hadn’t synced the new password yet so I at least have the data saved.

I’d rather not go through that exercise and have to reconfigure all of our devices, but I don’t see another solution because there’s no family account that can recover my account. Unless those logs would indicate what the app actually set the password to?

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

@tompacyk:

Thank you! I confirm that I have managed to locate your diagnostics report in our system :+1:

Is there any hope I can recover from this or should I delete my account and start over?

I suggest waiting until we have inspected the logs. Someone will take a look at your diagnostics report and get back to your email as soon as possible.

Unless those logs would indicate what the app actually set the password to?

No, your password is not included in the logs for security reasons, but I am hoping that they will give us some hints as to what exactly happened :+1:

Thank you for your patience!

ref: YBN-53876-288

• tompacyk
    tompacyk
    Community Member

Well, I’m pretty blocked from working efficiently without it so I can hold off a few hours but probably need to wipe later today. I wish I could have sent the diagnostics from the iPad where I changed the password, but it has already been signed out and can’t access the vault.

Curious though: why can’t I change the master password again from another device after authenticating with Face ID? The app won’t let me proceed to the new password screen unless I input the old master password, but I get the same behavior — pressing the change account password button does nothing (no matter how long I wait).

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

@tompacyk:

Curious though: why can’t I change the master password again from another device after authenticating with Face ID?

This is where I am hoping the logs will show something: if you tried this on the device you sent the diagnostics report from, perhaps it will give a hint as to why this is happening to you :+1:

• tompacyk
    tompacyk
    Community Member

I wiped my account, restarted from scratch, and—amazingly—hit this bug again, but this time it was on my Mac.

Same thing: go through the master password change process, after entering the password twice and pressing the change button... no response from the app. The button grayed out like it was inactive after pressing it, but I received no confirmation about the request and the text fields were both still active. Wiped out both fields and started typing in the first field. After entering a few characters (the 2nd text field was still empty) I got a prompt that my password had been changed. What?!

Locked 1P and tried to enter the new password I had created — which does not work.

Seems like this should be the single most important screen in the app and there’s an inexcusable delay in providing any feedback to the user after they change their password. And worse, it’s changing it to something they didn’t set. Guess I’ll be restarting my account again tomorrow and vowing to never change a master password again.

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

@tompacyk:

Thank you for the additional information. I see that my colleague Brenty replied to your email yesterday, and that you are having a conversation over there. So we don't duplicate the answers by replying to you in multiple places, I am going to close this forum discussion and let you continue the conversation in private over there :+1:

ref: YBN-53876-288

This discussion has been closed.