To protect your privacy: email us with billing or account questions instead of posting here.

forget Secret Key and Master Password

john_zhai
john_zhai
Community Member

I created account in the beginning of 2019, and it's still active, but I lost my Secret Key pdf and I cannot login. I was trying to figure out my secret key, but all instruction guide me to log in first or find the pdf first, but I cannot do any of them, so I don't know to find my secret key. secondly I also need to find master password, I cannot find an option like "forget your password", so I also need a guide to find my master password.

Thank you.
Kind Regards
John

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• Hi @john_zhai

I'm sorry to hear about the situation. The Master Password and the Secret Key are used in the encryption of the data stored in your 1Password account. By design we never know or have access to either of those, and it isn't possible to change them without knowing them. If you're unable to come up with them, then the way forward would be to delete the account and start fresh with a new one. Additional tips as well as instructions for deleting and starting over can be found here:

FAQ: I'm locked out of my account (membership) / need to start over — 1Password Forum

I hope that helps!

Ben

• john_zhai
    john_zhai
    Community Member

Hi Ben,

Thank you for your suggestion. I'm using enterprise version, and it's paid by my company, if I delete this account and recreate a new one with the same email, will the payment be covered as before?

Secondly, it's really lucky that I have found my Secret Key, but I cannot remember my Master Password, and I cannot find "forget password" option, I find an instruction saying reset password by logged in mobile app or any other family members, which are meaningless to me, so is there any option to reset my Master Password in possible ways? such as 'forget your password' option.

• @john_zhai

I see. Thank you for the additional information. If the account in question is part of a business membership then the 1Password administrators within your organization would be the persons to contact about this situation. They can help you recover your account. That is not something we're able to do on our end — recovery can only be performed by administrators within your organization.

If instead this is a separate 1Password Families membership, and the only tie to the business is for billing, then the instructions I posted above (link) would be the way forward. If ultimately you cannot remember your Master Password, and there are no other Family Organizers on the membership who can assist you, the only recourse would be to delete the membership. There is no "forgot password" function to reset a Master Password for 1Password. In that case it would be possible to link a new 1Password Families membership to the business for billing after deleting the current one. If you have any trouble with that, our billing team can help. They can be reached at support@1password.com.

Please let me know how it turns out.

Ben

This discussion has been closed.