One more time about forcing a sync

Options
siplhium
siplhium
Community Member

I've seen more than a few threads here about sync failures and how to force syncing. Sometimes there's a sync button, sometimes there's not, depending on how you're set up. My data is stored at 1Password.com, so I don't have any sync button. Could we please get some clarity on what users are supposed to do when their Mac OS 1Password (and throw in 1Password X for Chrome on Mac OS, which I am also using) is not being updated or is not updating promptly vis-a-vis their 1Password for iOS? It kind of boggles me that there could be this many questions about failed syncing and still no clear answers (or clear answers that are easy to find). Please. Serenity (or clarity) now?

1Password Version: 7.6/7.6.2/1.20.0
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: OS X 10.15.5
Sync Type: 1Password

Comments

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @siplhium!

If you are using 1Password.com to sync your data, sync happens automatically in the background, so there is no "force sync" button. If you see that something is not syncing however, you can force a sync by locking and unlocking 1Password. Sync will take place immediately after unlock :+1:

• siplhium
    siplhium
    Community Member
    Options

So the answer is Lock and Unlock in the Mac OS 1Password, and there is no equivalent in the iOS or 1Password X versions? Is this documented someplace in the Help, because it's not exactly intuitive. Thank you.

• Ben
    Options

@siplhium

I'd very much like to help resolve this, but I think coming at it from the perspective of "forcing syncing" is going to be a path of pain. What we really need to do is figure out why things aren't working automatically as expected.

So the answer is Lock and Unlock in the Mac OS 1Password

The answer is that if sync isn't happening automatically then something with your system or network is preventing that from happening and we should troubleshoot to figure out what that is. :) If you lock and then unlock 1Password on the Mac do the changes then appear elsewhere? If so that may indicate the "notifier" component of 1Password for Mac, which listens for changes, is having difficulty connecting to 1Password.com.

and there is no equivalent in the iOS or 1Password X versions

Locking and unlocking either 1Password for iOS or 1Password X would do the same

Is this documented someplace in the Help, because it's not exactly intuitive

"Forcing" a sync is not something that should have to be done, and doing so is only a temporary solution at best. Without further troubleshooting you'll continue to have sync issues. Locking and unlocking to "force" a sync doesn't resolve anything. It works around the issue, if anything. The reason there isn't more detailed information about resolving such issues here in the forum is that everyone's setup is different, and the source of the difficulty is not universal. It really requires an individualized approach, which is why you see many of these threads get moved to email.

What we need to do first is track down which device is having trouble maintaining communications with 1Password.com. Once we know that we can dig deeper, but without even knowing which device is the source of trouble we're in the dark. The next time you notice a problem like this, please check and note the following:

1. Note which device you added the item from and on which device you were looking for it (but did not find it).
    2. Check the https://my.1password.com/ web interface - does the item appear there?
    3. If the item does appear in the web app: lock and unlock the "destination" device (i.e. the one you were trying to find the item on). Does the item appear now? If it does, the problem is likely the destination device.
    4. If the item does not appear in the web app: lock and unlock the "source" device (the one you created the item on). Does the item appear in the web app now? Does it appear on the destination device?

Please post the results here. That should help narrow things down. I understand the desire for a "quick fix" and to just move along with what you were trying to accomplish, but I'm afraid that just kicks the can down the road, and you'll run into the same problem the next time. I'd really like to get to the root of the problem so that you're not routinely needing to work around it.

Ben

• siplhium
    siplhium
    Community Member
    Options

I sympathize with your desire to "get to the root", Ben, but the problem is so intermittent and unpredictable (and untimely) that it's not always practical for me to test things out. I say that as both a developer (and do plenty of testing myself) and end-user. Network glitches and hiccups are a dime a dozen. I have only tried Locking/Unlocking with the Mac OS version, and it seems to work; if I think of it, I'll try to track down the source the next time it happens -- but it usually happens at the most inopportune times. If there is something about how 1Password is built that makes it vulnerable to such things (as appears to be the case), then it's up to Agile Bits' developers to decide whether this is worth shoring up or fixing. As an end-user, all I really want and need is an easy workaround, and locking/unlocking seems ok to me, if not exactly well-advertised or documented.

• Ben
    Options

but it usually happens at the most inopportune times

As is the way, of course. ;)

If there is something about how 1Password is built that makes it vulnerable to such things (as appears to be the case), then it's up to Agile Bits' developers to decide whether this is worth shoring up or fixing

We do have some brainstorming ongoing around how we might improve the robustness here and/or better indicate to the user that there is a problem. Personally I'm advocating for a connectivity indicator in the app as at least part of the solution. The app would maintain a heartbeat with 1Password.com and if that fails more than X times within a period of time that would cause a UI change.

I appreciate the comments. If you do notice this at a point where you're able to take some notes and troubleshoot that would be ideal, but I understand if that doesn't end up being practical.

Ben

• themanofsilver
    themanofsilver
    Community Member
    Options

I am having similar issues. One suggestion would be to have some sort of flag on any item that shows if it has been synced to 1password.com. If it has, great. If not, there should be a place right there in the item to force at least that item to sync.

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Thank you for the suggestion @themanofsilver! In the meantime, I would like to ask you to generate a diagnostics report from your Mac and email it to us to support+forum@agilebits.com, so we can take a closer look at why this is happening to you.

After you have sent the email, please feel free to post the ticket number you received so we can locate your message and connect it with this forum discussion.

Looking forward to your message!

• themanofsilver
    themanofsilver
    Community Member
    Options

Thanks for the offer. I think the most recent issue was actually due to some items being misplaced between vaults synced via Dropbox instead of those on my account. I have now moved everything onto my account and removed my legacy vaults. I will see if there are further issues before running diagnostics.

• :+1: :chuffed:

• EMJAYWLZ
    EMJAYWLZ
    Community Member
    Options

Greetings, I have a similar issue. I have been a longtime user with 1Password on iOS and macOS, which used iCloud to Sync it's database. When I moved to the latest app on MacOS which removes removes iCloud from the equation, none of my new passwords added to iOS devices will sync to the desktop or web versions of the 1Password App. I'm not sure what the problem is here, but I would guess it has to do with iCloud Sync and the Sync Servers at 1Password aren't playing nice. Is there anything to this? Aside from rebuilding my 1password database on macOS and the WebApp, are there any solutions? Thanks! ~ EMJAYWLZ

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Thank you @EMJAYWLZ, I see that you have sent us the exact same message via email. So we don't duplicate the answers by replying to you in multiple places, I am going to close this forum discussion and someone will get back to your email as soon as possible.

Thank you for your patience!

ref: WNT-59761-948

This discussion has been closed.