Usernames containing backslash not working in Firefox

Options
mwuerzer
mwuerzer
Community Member
edited August 2020 in 1Password in the Browser

Hi everyone

We an internal website that uses Active Directory / Windows login. In Firefox 79 the 1password addon is unable to login if the username contains a backslash e.g. "domain\peter". If we open this site from the addon, we just get an empty login mask and Fiddler shows an http error 401, invalid credentials. This happens only in Firefox, Chrome and Edge Chromium are ok. Also in Firefox the website works fine if we use a username like "peter@domain.com"
This seems like a bug. Is there anything I could do about it besides not using the domain\name syntax?

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: 1.20
OS Version: Win 10 1803
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• Greg
    Greg
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hello @mwuerzer,

Thank you for reaching out!

First of all, since you use 1Password X, I moved our discussion to 1Password X category of this forum. I hope you don't mind. :)

As for the issue at thand, could you please tell me if this is a modal popup on the website you are trying to sign in on? Are you able to fill your credentials correctly from 1Password X if you change the username to peter without a backslash?

Please clarify. Thanks!

Stay safe,
    Greg

• mwuerzer
    mwuerzer
    Community Member
    Options

Hi Greg

thank you for helping out!

Its a Windows Security login pop up. The screenshot above shows the pop up in Firefox. I'll add screenshots from Chrome and Edge Chromium below. Those might be more familiar to you.

Yes, filling in "peter" without backslash would work in Firefox.

But on our end this only works, if the current client is located within "domain". If the client is located within "domain2", we need to tell the application that "peter" does not have to sign in to "domain2" but "domain", which we can do through the username "domain\peter"

And as written above, the username "domain\peter" works just fine in Chrome and Edge.

Pop up Edge:

Pop up Chrome:

Thanks
    Martin

• Greg
    Greg
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @mwuerzer,

Are you saying that 1Password X fills your credentials (with backslash) correctly in Edge and Chrome, but fails to do so in Firefox?

If you use the same version of 1Password X in all browsers, it is quite strange. Please confirm. Thanks! :+1:

++
    Greg

• mwuerzer
    mwuerzer
    Community Member
    Options

Hi @Greg

Yes, it works correctly in Edge and Chrome but fails in Firefox. Version is 1.20 everywhere. Browsers are up to date.

I have tried 3 different computers, the problem occurs on all of them. I have disabled other add ons and even reset Firefox, nothing helps.

Regards
    Martin

• Hi @mwuerzer!

My name is Jarek and I'm a part of the extensions team here at 1Password. I set up a simple test to mimic this situation and tried filling using the Go action on the URL in my item in 1Password X; in Firefox I see the username I entered is going through to the server correctly, backslash and all.

One question I'm interested to know the answer to: if you manually type the username with the backslash into the prompt in Firefox on Windows, does it work or does it result in a 401 just like trying to use 1Password X does?

• mwuerzer
    mwuerzer
    Community Member
    Options

Hi @ag_jarek

Yes, If I enter the username with the backslash manually in Firefox, everything works.
    See below screenshot of the iis log:
    timestamps 09:23:09 is when I used the Go action of 1Password X. I get http 302 and a couple of 401's
    timestamp 09:23:29 I have now entered the crendentials manually, http 302 and then finally 200 and I am logged in.

And I have tried two more applications, they all behave the same. The all use Windows Authentication:

• ag_jarek
    edited August 2020
    Options

@mwuerzer hmm, that's good to know.

Shot in the dark, but what is the URL associated with the item in 1Password? I see that the first route you hit using 1Password X's Go action is /, but the first route you hit when logging in manually is /auth/windows. Perhaps something odd is going on with the URL difference there?

• mwuerzer
    mwuerzer
    Community Member
    Options

@ag_jarek

See the screenshot, I don't know what's going on with firefox, since I am using the other two browsers with the same 1Password account and therefore the same url/username/password. But I'll check next week what the logs look with the other browsers and get back to you then. I'm off for the weekend now:-)

• @mwuerzer some logs from the other browsers definitely sound interesting, and maybe also trying the item with a URL that has the /auth/windows route at the end and seeing what happens with that in Firefox.

Enjoy your weekend first though! :smile:

• mwuerzer
    mwuerzer
    Community Member
    Options

@ag_jarek

I have tried to add /auth/windows but that doesn't change anything with Firefox and Chrome/Edge won't work anymore either...

Below another IIS log, this time the other application which is not doing redirects to /auth/windows.

11:04:30 Firefox seems to try 2 times without sending a username and gets a 401 both times.
    11:04:56 Chrome: First call without a username, 401
    Second call, it tries the username of the current Windows user account, 401
    Third call, it tries the username that is accually set in 1Password X, 200
    then it opens the starting page main.aspx, everything is ok
    11:05:19 Edge: Behaves exactly the same as Chrome.

I think I'am giving up on this, it is not THAT important, especially since the other two browsers work. Thank you for the support and for your time!

• @mwuerzer interesting, unfortunate that the URL change didn't help at all.

I asked another team member and they pointed out that Firefox is using a native system dialog whereas Chrome / Edge are not. Not sure if this has anything to do with the problem but it's another interesting difference between the browsers.

Sorry we haven't found a solution here, but at least we ruled a few things out. If this becomes more of an issue for you in the future please don't hesitate to reach back out to us again so we can spend some more time internally hunting down the cause!

This discussion has been closed.