1Password and iCloud Keychain

Options
Mutang
Mutang
Community Member

I recently installed 1Password 7.7 beta and have been converting many duplicate and weak passwords to it with good results. I'm also reviewing my past disorganized use of four different cloud backup systems: Dropbox, OneDrive, iCloud, and Google Drive. At present, I've got iCloud in 200 GB only. I'm thinking of cancelling Dropbox and OneDrive and lifting iCloud to 2 TB, which will give me more margin within the Apple system. In my MacBook's System Preferences, iCloud now appears disabled. I thought I had enabled it. So maybe it has become automatically disabled because it's not large enough. I encountered another problem in the Apple system due to iCloud becoming disabled, which is I couldn't login to iCloud Mail online.
One of the advisors at the Apple Community forum said they recommend against using 1Password with iCloud because it conflicts with iCloud Keychain. Is that true? I suppose 1Password does much more than iCloud Keychain does. How are the two compared?

1Password Version: 7.7 beta
Extension Version: 4.7.5.90
OS Version: OS X 10.15.6
Sync Type: iCloud

Comments

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @Mutang!

One of the advisors at the Apple Community forum said they recommend against using 1Password with iCloud because it conflicts with iCloud Keychain. Is that true?

Yes, we also generally recommend turning off Keychain or the built-in password manager in your browsers, so they don't interfere with 1Password.

I suppose 1Password does much more than iCloud Keychain does. How are the two compared?

Keychain only works on Apple devices, and stores Login information. 1Password on the other hand works on every platform and can save all sort of information, including entire documents :) 1Password also allows you to share this information with other users.

• Mutang
    Mutang
    Community Member
    Options

On my computer (MacBook Pro OS X 10.15.6, 1tb SSD) of course I have Safari, and I have also installed MS Edge, Firefox, Chrome, Opera, and the most recently added is Brave. At this point, I like Brave very much. Particularly for the point you mentioned: it saves passwords in a form very conveniently accessible.
    During the last 10 days or so, while I've been stumbling along 1Password's learning curve, there have been numerous occasions when I wasn't getting the desired result through the 1Password process, but I was able to recover the needed password from the saved copy in Brave, then paste it in where needed, either in 1Password or online. I generally think that any important function requires at least one level of backup. I don't see the Brave save-password system conflicting with 1Password, so long as I am careful. Right now, I don't see much reason to use any other browser but Brave, but that might change.
    I rarely use a PC machine, but I do have a very plan vanilla PC laptop that I hardly ever use. If I decide to use that more, will I need to pay for another license to install 1Password on the PC?
    I like very much the security for documents offered by 1Password.

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@Mutang:

there have been numerous occasions when I wasn't getting the desired result through the 1Password process
    I don't see the Brave save-password system conflicting with 1Password, so long as I am careful.

I think this shows a possible conflict: it's possible that one of the reasons why 1Password was not behaving as expected was because of the interference with Brave's own password manager. Of course, you are free to keep both of them active despite our recommendation, but just keep in mind that it could be exactly this that is the cause of some issues.

I rarely use a PC machine, but I do have a very plan vanilla PC laptop that I hardly ever use. If I decide to use that more, will I need to pay for another license to install 1Password on the PC?

If you have a 1Password Membership, every platform is included in the price. If you have a license instead (for example, you purchased one for 1Password for Mac), then you will need a separate 1Password for Windows license.

• Mutang
    Mutang
    Community Member
    Options

On my computer (MacBook Pro OS X 10.15.6, 1tb SSD) of course I have Safari, and I have also installed MS Edge, Firefox, Chrome, Opera, and the most recently added is Brave. At this point, I like Brave very much. Particularly for the point you mentioned: it saves passwords in a form very conveniently accessible.
    During the last 10 days or so, while I've been stumbling along 1Password's learning curve, there have been numerous occasions when I wasn't getting the desired result through the 1Password process, but I was able to recover the needed password from the saved copy in Brave, then paste it in where needed, either in 1Password or online. I generally think that any important function requires at least one level of backup. I don't see the Brave save-password system conflicting with 1Password, so long as I am careful. Right now, I don't see much reason to use any other browser but Brave, but that might change.
    I like very much the security for documents offered by 1Password.

• Mutang
    Mutang
    Community Member
    Options

I have a license, which cost under $30; apparently that's for a single app on my MacBook. I wasn't aware of "Membership," which I suppose is more expensive and allows multi-platform apps?

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@Mutang:

A Membership is paid with a subscription, either monthly or yearly. It includes all 1Password apps for all platforms, including all of the updates for all of them. It also comes with several more features that are not included with a standalone license:

About 1Password membership

This discussion has been closed.