Can't Login to Vanguard.com with 1P Extension Enabled

Options
ChiliPalmer
ChiliPalmer
Community Member
edited August 2020 in Mac

Recently, I've found that I cannot login to Vanguard from their main page when I have 1P enabled on both Chrome and Safari for the Mac (Catalina).

Technically, the main page doesn't work, but I can make a deeper, different login page work:

https://investor.vanguard.com/home

doesn’t work

https://personal.vanguard.com/us/hnwnesc/nesc/LoginPage

works

I've tried with no extensions, and just with the 1P extension, and this is consistent in both Safari and Chrome.

EDIT: The problem is, I can't click the Login button. I click it, but nothing happens.

1Password Version: 7.6
Extension Version: 4.7.5.90 (Chrome)
OS Version: 10.15.6
Sync Type: Dropbox

Comments

• Ben
    Options

Hi @ChiliPalmer

I'm sorry to hear about the trouble. I just tried this in Safari using the 1Password 7.7 beta. 1Password filled the form as expected and I was able to click the "Log on" button:

[Here's the link to the video.](https://bucket.agilebits.com/tmp/ben/202008179m2jo.mp4)

If this continues after the 7.7 update is released please let us know. :) In the meantime hopefully the workaround of using the 'deeper' link continues to work.

Ben

• ChiliPalmer
    ChiliPalmer
    Community Member
    Options

Thanks. So can you confirm that 7.7 is different from 7.6 in a way that matters here?

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@ChiliPalmer:

If the website is working on version 7.7, but not on version 7.6, then it's possible that the version matters here. Of course, should you update to version 7.7 and still see the same behavior, it would mean that there is something else on your system that is causing interference, and we can certainly take another look in that case :+1:

• ChiliPalmer
    ChiliPalmer
    Community Member
    Options

OK - I guess my question is, did someone there try it with 7.6 and confirm my situation?

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@ChiliPalmer:

Personally, I am also running the latest beta of 1Password 7, so I also tried this only on version 7.7 only. For what it's worth, I also confirm that things are working fine here for me too :+1:

• Ben
    Options

@ChiliPalmer

I installed 1Password 7.6 and was unable to reproduce this issue. I have no extensions in Safari other than 1Password 7.6 and am able to click the "Log on" button just fine after filling (and even without filling). Even if the fields are empty I can still click the button...

What version of Safari do you have installed?

Ben

• ChiliPalmer
    ChiliPalmer
    Community Member
    Options

I'm using 13.1.2.

Interestingly, I just tried it a few more times, and I realized that the reason the deep link works is that auto-fill from 1P _doesn't _work. I have to paste the pw in there.

So I tried on the main page with pasting the values in, and the logon button works fine.

Something about the 1P auto-fill may be interacting with Vanguard's button.

• Ben
    Options

I'm using 13.1.2.

Thanks. Same here.

Something about the 1P auto-fill may be interacting with Vanguard's button.

It doesn't appear to be. As I say... I'm using the same version as you now (7.6), and it fill and then allows me to click the button just fine. That would seemingly indicate something else is going on here. When I'm on the main page I can even click the Log on button even with nothing filled in. Are you able to do that?

Ben

• ChiliPalmer
    ChiliPalmer
    Community Member
    Options

Yes - I can. I get "Please fill out this field." below each of the fields when I do that.

But once I fill, the button shows that I'm pressing it, but no action takes place.

• Ben
    Options

That's really odd @ChiliPalmer as I'm not able to reproduce that on my end. I'm going to ask someone from our extensions team to put a separate set of eyes on this for you. They'll be in touch soon. :)

Ben

• Hello @ChiliPalmer, I tried 1Password 7.6 on https://investor.vanguard.com/home, and I couldn't reproduce the issue as well. For that reason, it might worth follow the steps here to create a new Vanguard login item and try to fill using that item instead and let us know how it works?

• ChiliPalmer
    ChiliPalmer
    Community Member
    Options

Sure enough, that did the trick!

So does that mean I had been saving some other info that was corrupting a form there?

Thanks very much for the help!

• Ben
    Options

I'm very glad to hear that did it @ChiliPalmer, as admittedly I was scratching my head here. :) Yes indeed, it would seemingly indicate perhaps a previous version of Vanguard's form is what you had saved, and through some way in which their form is designed trying to fill the old form into the new causes this problem. Odd, to say the least, but not completely unheard of to have to save a new Login if a website has changed. :+1:

Thanks for the update. :)

Ben

• ChiliPalmer
    ChiliPalmer
    Community Member
    Options

You guys truly have a fantastic product and, as evident here, amazing support.

Thanks again for everything, and I'll try to remember the new entry trick if I run into problems like this again.

• Ben
    Options

You're too kind. :) Thank you.

Ben

This discussion has been closed.