Fill in from Identity

jasimon9
jasimon9
Community Member

How do you fill in from Identity using the browser extension?

In 1P 6, was super easy--just select an identity and click it. Don't see how to do it in 1P 7. Here is what I am doing:

1. On website, a form is presented with identity info.
  2. click on 1P X in browser
  3. click on +
  4. click on Identity
  5. No fill in occurs; instead opens up a page on 1Password.com
  6. So far do not see any other way to do it in X
  7. Cannot find any way to do it from desktop version either.

At this point I have to ask if it is possible to go back to 1P 6. It just worked. I can't get most things to work in 1P 7. I have already asked "is there a document that you have that explains "how to do things in 1P 7 for 1P 6 users?". I also have some open questions posted on this forum that I am have not been getting answers for.

In particular:
1. How does backup really work?
2. How do you revert or delete a password? The online instructions do not seem relevant and do not work as expected.

I am really unhappy about 1P 7. I am sure it is just a matter of learning, but I am not finding this very easy.

1Password Version: 7.6
Extension Version: 1.20.0
OS Version: 10.15.6
Sync Type: 1password.com I think

Comments

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni
    edited August 2020

Hi @jasimon9!

I might be wrong, but I think the issue here is not 1Password 7, but rather that you don't like our new 1Password X browser extension. Can you please try using the companion browser extension for a while instead and see if you like that one better?

If you decide to continue using 1Password X, however, the issue is at your step 3 and 4:

1. click on +
    2. click on Identity

Here you are telling 1Password X to create a new identity item. You should instead simply choose the Identity you want to fill on that webpage:

And then click on the Autofill button to fill it, without creating a new one.

• jasimon9
    jasimon9
    Community Member

The problem for me was rather than one "Test Identity" as you are showing in your example, there were 19 matching items. Only seven of them showed in the dialog, and in fact the one I wanted was the 19th one. If I scroll down, I do see it, and if I click on it, it shows the identity, and if I click autofill, it does work.

The visible seven entries seemed to be not very related to what I wanted. In fact most of them were for credit cards. So it was not very easy to see how to do this operation. In 1P 6, when clicking on "Identities" there were only a small number of identities. Probably about four. And it was easy to see what to pick. So there are more steps involved with having to know that you have to scroll and then doing the scrolling.

I really would like to move forward as I am sure it will be worth it, and going backwards is not really viable. But it has taken a lot of effort for me to adapt, as this particular example shows. It was not something that I figured out by playing with it, but required this forum post.

Where are the instructions for converting over to the companion browser extension. I am assuming that you don't have both X and the companion extension at the same time. I can see on the link you gave where to download the companion for Chrome, but I don't know if I should do some pre-steps to disable X. first.

Another task for me--I have a major cleanup needed of obsolete items. But I don't want to do that before having a backup of my vault that could be used to either reload or recover individual items. Your pages on how to do this don't seem to apply, as the screen shots they show do not match what I see. I have another question on this topic with details and screen shots. But it has not been answered yet, and I don't want to recreate that question here.

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni
    edited August 2020

@jasimon9:

If I scroll down, I do see it, and if I click on it, it shows the identity, and if I click autofill, it does work.

That's great to hear :+1:

In 1P 6, when clicking on "Identities" there were only a small number of identities. Probably about four. And it was easy to see what to pick. So there are more steps involved with having to know that you have to scroll and then doing the scrolling.

You can filter in 1Password X too, if you prefer:

This way, you will also see only your Identity items.

I should also mention again that what you are calling 1Password 6 was really the old companion browser extension. That did not change between 1Password 6 and 1Password 7. 1Password X, however, is a completely different extension that works very differently. Since most of your concerns seem to be about the 1Password X browser extension rather than the 1Password 7 desktop app, switching back to the old extension might indeed be what you are really looking for.

Where are the instructions for converting over to the companion browser extension. I am assuming that you don't have both X and the companion extension at the same time. I can see on the link you gave where to download the companion for Chrome, but I don't know if I should do some pre-steps to disable X. first.

Just install it from the link on our downloads page. Afterwards, just make sure that 1Password X is not open while you use the other extension, so you don't have them both enabled at the same time.

Alternatively, you can also uninstall 1Password X from your browser if you prefer to only have one extension installed at the same time. You can always install extensions again from the downloads page whenever you want.

Another task for me--I have a major cleanup needed of obsolete items. But I don't want to do that before having a backup of my vault that could be used to either reload or recover individual items. Your pages on how to do this don't seem to apply, as the screen shots they show do not match what I see. I have another question on this topic with details and screen shots. But it has not been answered yet, and I don't want to recreate that question here.

Is this related to this other discussion you opened? If so, please take a look at my comment there and let us know if you have any follow up questions there :+1:

You can also export a copy of your data if it makes you feel safer. Just make sure to delete it once you are done, since exported data is not encrypted.

How to export data from 1Password

• jasimon9
    jasimon9
    Community Member

Again, I don't see what you show from X. Here is what I see:

There is no "all items, suggestions, favorites" visible.

Regarding other discussions--for some reason I stopped getting email notifications about added comments. Instead I had to constantly visit discussions to see if something was added. I even asked about this a couple times. But I never got an answer. Then I discovered a setting and noticed that the checkbox for notifications on comments added was turned off. So I turned it back on, and am now getting notifications again. However, that communication was probably before I had re-enabled email notifications, and I just missed that one. So I did add a further question.

Regarding export--while that might be useful for some tasks, since it creates an unencrypted format, it would not be a good backup method.

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

@jasimon9:

It looks like you are clicking on the + button every time. That is not what you are supposed to do if you don't want to create a new item. Just open 1Password X and look at the left column:

But perhaps I am misunderstanding what you are trying to do: can you clarify why you are trying to create a new item every time? From what you are writing, it really does not sound like what you want to do.

• jasimon9
    jasimon9
    Community Member

I don't want to create a new item. Just fill in. In my post of 10:08am today I described the problem. I get way too many items showing up, and have to scroll looking for the item. Your post showed a screen shot looking differently from what I see. You had "suggestions" checked. I could not find that anywhere by mousing around.

However, the animation that you posted shows the missing link--actually have to first click on "Suggestions", which was not obvious. That results in getting to the screen you showed. And answers that part of the question.

However, I want to fill an identity. Pretty annoying to have to do the following to do that, using the first way that I found (which was not easy and took several forum posts):

1. Click on X icon in browser.
    2. Scroll down through 19 items
    3. click on the 19th item.

Why do all my credit cards show up in the list?

Alternate approach learned from your animation:

1. Click on X icon in browser
    2. Click on suggestions
    3. Click on Identities
    4. Click on Identity

What used to be two clicks in 1P mini is now 4 clicks. For some things it is just easier to type in the data.

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni
    edited August 2020

@jasimon9:

Indeed, 1Password X works very differently from the companion browser extension. Thank you for taking the time to share your experience with us by the way, it's very useful to see how folks coming from the other extension are using this new one :+1:

Have you already tried the old extension again? Is that working better for you? Since it's the same that you were used to, I am sure you will find it more familiar :)

• jasimon9
    jasimon9
    Community Member

I re-enabled the companion. Not sure if that is what you call it but it is a good name. Although maybe "mini" is a better name.

So now I have both the companion and X enabled in Chrome. I clicked something and both popped up at the same time. Not sure that is normal, and I cannot make it happen again.

I am used to the 1P 6 companion (mini), so it still would be a learning situation. Not sure how this will go. It does seem while there is a lot of overlap, that there are probably some features not in common between the two. For example, it seems X has the feature that you put the cursor into a field and it makes suggestions without having to open it explicitly. That is nice.

However, my main workflow until now has been to open mini, type the first few letters of the website, and let mini both navigate and autofill. So this new benefit of X would require just going to the website. Not sure about the trade offs as it seems it would be better to be consistent.

• If I had to guess (and hope ;) ) I would think that at some point the two extensions would be "merged" and we'd only offer one extension. As it stands the two are not intended to be used side-by-side in the same browser. It is okay to have one in one browser, and the other in another, but having both installed in the same browser is likely going to cause difficulties such as the one you described.

For example, it seems X has the feature that you put the cursor into a field and it makes suggestions without having to open it explicitly. That is nice.

I agree this is a convenient way to interact with 1Password in your web browser, and is how I most often do so. Safari doesn't use 1Password X, but it too recently gained this interface (currently in beta for v7.7).

So this new benefit of X would require just going to the website. Not sure about the trade offs as it seems it would be better to be consistent.

It would be a slightly different workflow, yes. I personally find it more convenient to navigate to the website using the browser's address bar (with autocompletion) and then to use 1Password X's inline menu to fill.

Ben

• jasimon9
    jasimon9
    Community Member

Thanks for your patience!

• Of course! You're very welcome. My pleasure. I know you've been a 1Password customer for a long time and I very much want 1Password 7 and membership to ultimately be a positive experience for you. :)

Ben

• jasimon9
    jasimon9
    Community Member

Only since 2009. Before that I was on Windows, and used Roboform since summer of 2004.

Roboform was a lot better at filling out forms. It was very smart about figuring out how to map to fields. 1P does not seem to focus on that as much.

• Thanks for the feedback. :) We have a new 'brain' that we're in the process of rolling out that combined with newly saved Login items should do a much better job of filling forms.

Ben

• matthew2
    matthew2
    Community Member

@Ben will this work with filling in custom fields then on forms?

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

@matthew2:

Can you please clarify what you mean by "custom fields"?

• matthew2
    matthew2
    Community Member

@ag_ana As in if we create a custom field in an Identity, this can then be used for a form fill. As I understand right now it can not.

• @matthew2

Do you have an example form? It is difficult to say without testing. :)

Ben

• matthew2
    matthew2
    Community Member

Hi Ben

As a random example this form:

http://network.bluebitads.com/users/signup/

For example 1Pass doesn't fill in the "Title" field, "Tax ID" field, "Your Skype ID" field and "Payment Method" field. These fields come up a lot on sites so would be super useful to be able to configure these field names and alternative field names, kind of like how you can have multiple Urls on a login.

• Thanks, @matthew2. Unfortunately I was able to confirm that we are unable to save or fill those fields (except title... title was saved & filled). I tried also adding associated custom fields, and those likewise did not fill.

All of the above fields except the Skype ID filled.

Ben

• matthew2
    matthew2
    Community Member

Ah OK so they do work too an extent then :)

I played around and got title working now and region.

I think the other fields are a long shot because on the source code their field names suck e.g. signupAnswer16 for example. Only way 1Pass would have a hope of filling that is based on label I guess instead of field name?

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

@matthew2:

I think the other fields are a long shot because on the source code their field names suck e.g. signupAnswer16 for example. Only way 1Pass would have a hope of filling that is based on label I guess instead of field name?

One of our extensions experts actually recommended this approach recently ;) Have you tried using "signupAnswer16" as the label name?

• matthew2
    matthew2
    Community Member

I haven't but there is little point as its not going to carry across sites then but thanks.

To be honest I am happy anyway :). I had seen an old thread that said using custom labels etc did not work but it works great. e.g. I added my Telegram and this just filled in fine on a form.

Thanks!

• Glad to hear it generally works, and just not for this specific form. :+1: As you say, other than saving this form's field names ('signupAnswer16') which would have limited application I'm not sure there is much we could do here. I believe we do actually look at labels, but it may depend on how the labels are implemented. I'm going to try and confirm that with the team. :)

Ben

• jasimon9
    jasimon9
    Community Member

I have also asked about this in the past. One feature that I sorely miss is that on political contribution forms they by law have to ask for employer and occupation. These never fill in.

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

@jasimon9:

Can you give us an example URL? We will be happy to test things on these websites directly :+1:

• jasimon9
    jasimon9
    Community Member

Before doing so I decided to run a test to confirm that it is still a problem. I am happy to report that on my test, employer and occupation did in fact fill!

This is the first time that I have seen filling of these fields since starting to use 1P in about 2009! So I am thinking that the Version 7 upgrade improved your "filling engine". I have not filled out any such forms since that upgrade. I was just "chiming in" about my similar experience.

• Before doing so I decided to run a test to confirm that it is still a problem. I am happy to report that on my test, employer and occupation did in fact fill!

That's great news. :)

This is the first time that I have seen filling of these fields since starting to use 1P in about 2009! So I am thinking that the Version 7 upgrade improved your "filling engine". I have not filled out any such forms since that upgrade. I was just "chiming in" about my similar experience.

Indeed, v7 does have a new filling "brain" which should help in cases like this.

Ben

This discussion has been closed.