Some say browser extensions are not secure. What functionality is lost by removing 1PW extensions?

Options
grbtv1
grbtv1
Community Member

Some security experts say that using browser extensions creates a vulnerability and that passwords can be hacked this way. I have 1PW 7 using the Chrome extension. Instructions for removing the 1PW extension on Chrome are available on line and seem straightforward. What is the downside of removing the browser extension from Chrome? What specific functionality is lost? What can you no longer do on 1PW that you used to be able to do, if you remove the extension?

1Password Version: 7.6
Extension Version: 4.5.7.90
OS Version: OS 10.15.6
Sync Type: iCloud
Referrer: forum-search:Extensions

Comments

• Ben
    Options

Hi @grbtv1

I would not recommend removing the 1Password extension from your web browser. The risk of doing so is likely greater than any perceived risk of using it. Without it you lose:

• filling of your credentials into web forms (so these would either need to be typed or copy & pasted, which also have associated security concerns)
    • saving of web forms into Login items (so you run the risk of your data not being saved into 1Password and thus being more likely to be lost / forgotten)
    • easy access to the password generator (encouraging user generated passwords instead of inherently more secure software generated ones)

It is definitely true that you should be very careful about what extensions you allow to run in your browser — the same as you should be very careful about what applications you allow to run on your computer. But the 1Password extension is probably not the one to avoid. :) What risk are you trying to avoid exposing yourself to by removing the extension? Please let me know.

Ben

• grbtv1
    grbtv1
    Community Member
    Options

That answers my question. Thanks,

• Ben
    Options

You're welcome. If you have further questions or would like to discuss your concerns with more depth we'd be happy to help. :+1:

Ben

This discussion has been closed.