Cannot find sync icon

Options
keyboardDrummer
keyboardDrummer
Community Member

Hi there,

I'm a paying user with some of my vaults being synced using your Cloud, and one vault with credentials that are not allowed to leave my machine, which are synced using a local folder. When I installed 1password on a new machine the "Sync" icon is not available in preferences, and there seems to be no way to set up local folder syncing.

From your posts I get the impression you're trying to force everything to sync through your Cloud by hiding the sync icon whenever possible. How can I get this icon to show? And also, please tell your product manager you're losing customers by ignoring the valid use-case of credentials that are not allowed to leave the machine by making it so hard to use local folder sync.

Regards,
Remy

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided
Referrer: forum-search:cannot sync local folder

Comments

• vplewis
    vplewis
    Community Member
    Options

@keyboardDrummer Preferences> Advanced

Didn't seem that hard to me.

• Ben
    Options

Hi @keyboardDrummer

It's no secret that membership and membership-based vaults are the way forward with 1Password, though this is a use case that we're looking into. Ideally we'd have a way to meet this need without the baggage of legacy standalone vaults, which use a different construct than modern membership vaults. For now, the screenshot vplewis was kind enough to share should help with enabling standalone vaults. Please note that there is a major caveat with using this feature: it changes the way 1Password unlocks (as mentioned in the screenshot/preferences pane).

The way unlocking 1Password works is:

• If a Primary vault exists 1Password will always unlock using the Master Password for that vault. This supersedes all of the following rules.
    • If a single 1Password.com account is logged in then 1Password will unlock using the Master Password for that account.
    • If multiple 1Password.com accounts are logged in then 1Password will unlock using the Master Password of the first account that was added.

This can lead to people forgetting their 1Password account password, which is obviously not ideal, and is one of the primary reasons we discourage this configuration. To help avoid that I'd highly recommend printing, filling in, and storing an Emergency Kit:

Get to know your Emergency Kit

I typically recommend a fire safe of bank deposit box for storage. I hope that helps. Should you have any other questions or concerns, please feel free to ask.

Ben

This discussion has been closed.