Can 1Password version 6 share a vault with version 7 on iOS?

Options
JimLeask
JimLeask
Community Member

I have a very old but useful iPad that can only run iOS 9.3, so it can only take 1PW version 6. I have a family plan running 1PW 7 on all of my other devices. Can I have a dropbox vault for 1PW 6 that version 7 can also use?

I don't mind manually transferring some login/passwords to the version6 vault, as there aren't very many. However, without 1PW running on the older iPad, it makes it almost impossible to use.

1Password Version: 6.9.1
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: iOS 9.3.5
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @JimLeask!

I have a very old but useful iPad that can only run iOS 9.3, so it can only take 1PW version 6. I have a family plan running 1PW 7 on all of my other devices. Can I have a dropbox vault for 1PW 6 that version 7 can also use?

Yes, you can do this :+1: You can use Dropbox vaults in 1Password for iOS as long as you have at least version 6.7 of the app:

System requirements for 1Password - iOS

• JimLeask
    JimLeask
    Community Member
    Options

I was using dropbox with 1PW 6.9.1 previously, and it worked fine. I stopped using the dropbox vault though when I moved to the family plan with 1PW 7, and the vault is online. How do I connect to the dropbox vault again with 1PW 7 so I can share it with my older device running version 6? I don't see a way to use dropbox with 1PW 7

• JimLeask
    JimLeask
    Community Member
    Options

Ah - I think I see what I was missing. I had turned off my Primary vault when I moved to the Personal vault of the family plan. I needed to re-enable the Primary account (I missed what the link was - Enable External Vault, or something like that), and from there I could see the option to sync with Dropbox again. This should be the same as before, so I'll go back to my other device and get it syncing again.

• Ben
    Options

Thanks for the update @JimLeask. I'm glad to hear you were able to find a solution here. That said, As a security focused company we'd always recommend running the latest versions of all of your software, but especially your operating system, web browser(s), and 1Password. It may be time to start considering a replacement for the old iPad if at all feasible. I realize these devices are expensive and we're not financial consultants, but from a security perspective being stuck with an OS that is a number of major versions out of date on an internet connected device is far less than ideal. For example, it has been over a year since iOS 9 received a security update.

Food for thought. :+1:

Ben

• JimLeask
    JimLeask
    Community Member
    Options

Thanks for the comment Ben. I definitely agree that the security is important, which of course is why I have been using 1PW for so long. I don't use the old device for anything important anymore though, just reading the paper and magazines, so that is all I'm going to put into that other old vault. The old device is still OK for that purpose, and as this is still a very strong password and they are all different, this will be fine

• Ben
    Options

I understand. :+1: Unfortunately it does result in a fairly complex setup that we would otherwise avoid recommending (using a standalone vault in conjunction with a membership), but that is likely the only solution here if you find that to be a necessary device in your workflow.

Ben

This discussion has been closed.