Site updates aren't always smooth

Options
RickCunn
RickCunn
Community Member

I am noticing more and more 1PW doesn't always properly update changed PW at various websites. I often have to go in and manually change links (since the PW update on any website isn't generally the same as the login site, and 1PW isn't smart enough to know the difference) and even manually add the PW. I've taken to letting 1PW generate the new PW, copying it to a text file temporarily to make sure I have a copy if the update fails. After updating a PW (or even adding a new site to 1PW), I hit the OK button on the pop-up for 1PW to save and/or update, and it can fail to do the update. Hence the need to manually fix it. Any suggestions? I have found that more and more many websites (my bank and Comcast for example) just don't work well with Safari (13.1.2). Could that be it?

1Password Version: 7.6
Extension Version: 7.6
OS Version: macOSX 10.15.6
Sync Type: iCloud

Comments

• Ben
    Options

Hi @RickCunn

I often have to go in and manually change links (since the PW update on any website isn't generally the same as the login site

That's an interesting one. I'm not really sure how we'd do better here. To be clear: the problem is that your Login items end up having the change password URL on them, instead of the login form URL? I have a fair bit of that as well, but I don't bother to change then and it doesn't affect my workflow. Where is this tripping you up?

and even manually add the PW

I've struggled with this a bit myself recently. We have some big changes coming to the Safari App Extension (currently in beta) and so it seems now might be a good time to try and address those struggles. I've filed an issue for development to review and consider. Thank you for the feedback here.

Ben

ref: dev/apple/issues#4958

• RickCunn
    RickCunn
    Community Member
    Options

I'm not really sure how we'd do better here. To be clear: the problem is that your Login items end up having the change password URL on them, instead of the login form URL? I have a fair bit of that as well, but I don't bother to change then and it doesn't affect my workflow. Where is this tripping you up?

After a PW change the website URL stored in 1P is the page where the PW was updated, not the login page. Next time I go back to that site, 1P doesn't always recognize the login page, since the stored URL is not that page. So I manually update the URL in 1P to reflect the correct login page. It's a nuisance, not a show stopper.

• Ben
    Options

@RickCunn

As long as the two pages are on the same 'domain' (e.g. the agilebits.com part of the URL) 1Password should offer the Login item as a suggestion. When you say 1Password doesn't recognize the login page, is that what you mean? The item you want to fill isn't showing as a suggestion? If that's the case, the next time this happens, could you please post here:

1. The URL that is saved in 1Password (all of them if there are multiple)
    2. The URL to the login page you want to fill on

Thanks!

Ben

This discussion has been closed.