Vault/sync

Options
wellsjacobson
wellsjacobson
Community Member

My wife and I have one 1password account and 2 computers and 2 iPhones. Having trouble syncing. Don't know how but we seem to have a personal vault and a primary vault. Most stuff is in Personal vault but some is in Primary vault. We only wa nt one vault. I can merge all info into the personal vault but it does not show up when I go to sync in the preference pane. If I try to merge everything into the Primary vault many items will not transfer but I can sync the Primary vault (minus those items). We sync using Dropbox. When I open 1Password the list on the left side has only the Primary listed as "on my Mac" Pic enclosed. How do I get one complete vault that will sync?
thanks, Jake

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• ag_matthew
    ag_matthew
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hello @wellsjacobson,

The Personal vault is associated with a 1Password membership, and synchronizes between your devices via our secure servers (for devices which are signed into the account).

The Primary ("standalone") vault synchronizes between devices using Dropbox (if the app has a standalone vault associated with a Dropbox account).

While it's possible to use standalone vaults alongside a membership, it's not recommended, as there are multiple master passwords to remember and it's not always clear which password should be used to unlock your app or your account at https://my.1password.com/. (I've been there!)

• wellsjacobson
    wellsjacobson
    Community Member
    Options

Thank you. This is helpful but I am still confused. I use 1Password 7. Does the mere presence of both a Personal and a Primary vault in the left sidebar mean that I have a 1Password membership? I am assuming that a membership is different than my purchase of 1Password 7-- Correct? And if I don't have a membership is that why when I go to sync in preferences I am only able to sync the Primary vault?
    Also why does my personal vault exist with items it it (largely PDF's and PNG's) that I am unable to move to my Primary Vault?
    Seems dumb but how do I know if I have a membership?

• ag_matthew
    ag_matthew
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hello again,

If you have a Personal vault, then you have a 1Password membership/subscription. This membership allows someone to use 1Password on all their devices, without needing to explicitly license our Mac app, and has the benefit of syncing through our secure servers and other good things.

Alternatively, 1Password 7 for Mac can be purchased as a separate license. This would allow syncing of vaults via Dropbox or iCloud.

I am assuming that a membership is different than my purchase of 1Password 7-- Correct?

Yes

And if I don't have a membership is that why when I go to sync in preferences I am only able to sync the Primary vault?

Not quite. If you have standalone vaults enabled (vaults which don't sync via the 1Password servers), then the "Sync" tab in the Preferences window controls how those standalone vaults are synced. (This would be your Primary vault)

Your Personal vault, however, comes as part of the 1Password membership. It can only sync via the 1Password servers, so there's no need for it to appear in the "Sync" tab in Preferences window. (There are no settings to change for that kind of vault)

Also why does my personal vault exist with items it it (largely PDF's and PNG's) that I am unable to move to my Primary Vault?

This is probably because the two types of vault have different ways of supporting documents:

• standalone vaults ("Primary") allowed users to add a file to any item as an attachment
    • membership vaults ("Personal") instead have a dedicated "Document" item category

You are unable to move those items from Personal to Primary because standalone vaults do not have a dedicated "Document" item category.

This discussion has been closed.