I get a "1password can't verify the identity of your web browser' in Microsoft Edge (Chromium)

joostgadellaa
joostgadellaa
Community Member

I've tried re-installing both Chromium Edge and the plugin but the error persists.

1Password Version: Version 7.6 Mac App Store
Extension Version: 4.7.5.90
OS Version: 10.15.6
Sync Type: 1Password
Referrer: forum-search:chromium edge can't verify

Comments

• joostgadellaa
    joostgadellaa
    Community Member

Found in another thread: _[..] the solution, for me it was running the following command in the terminal:
    mkdir -p ~/Library/Application\ Support/Google/Chrome

For some reason creating an empty folder for Google Chrome (which I don't have) is required to make the extension work for Microsoft Edge. Weird._

• Hi @joostgadellaa

Microsoft Edge is based on the same codebase that Chrome is (Chromium). They use the same extension platform/framework. That's why you'll see references to Chrome in various places within Edge. I'm glad to hear you were able to find the solution. Thank you for the update!

Ben

• scottisloud
    scottisloud
    Community Member

Just to quickly add to this: This also seems to happen when Edge (and presumably Chrome) has an update that's been installed but requires a browser restart. Since this happens in the background, sometimes at launch, you might not be aware of this. Normally quitting the re-opening the browser solves this problem for me.

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

@scottisloud:

Normally quitting the re-opening the browser solves this problem for me.

That's correct! 1Password does not connect to browsers while they are in the middle of an update for security reasons. This is why quitting and relaunching the browser works, since that allows the browser to complete the update :)

This discussion has been closed.