Any way to log into 1Password X using fingerprint reader?

With the latest version of 1Password X, I can't log in using my Mac's fingerprint reader. I end up typing my password many times per day. Am I missing something here? This seems truly inconvenient...

1Password Version: 1.21.3
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: macOS 10.15.6
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• Hi @kengetz

This isn't currently possible with 1Password X, but it is a feature we're working toward. It will require 1Password for Mac be installed when completed. In the meantime both the Safari App Extension (included in the 1Password for Mac app) as well as the companion extension for Chrome and Firefox can unlock using Touch ID:

https://1password.com/downloads/mac/#browsers

If you'd like to try the companion extension 1Password X should be uninstalled first.

I hope that helps!

Ben

• kengetz
    kengetz
    Community Member

Thanks. Will try using the add-in instead, but in my recollections, 1PasswordX works better for my needs. I could swear that I used to log into 1Password using my fingerprint, and that also authenticated me for 1PasswordX... Appreciate it.

• Ben
    Ben
    edited August 2020

You're welcome! That was indeed a feature that we had in beta for 1Password X ("Desktop App Integration") but we ended up needing to change direction and it has been pulled until we can engineer a better solution that will be more compatible:

Temporarily removing Desktop App Integration — 1Password Forum

For now the companion extension should do the trick, but we're very excited to get to work on the next generation of Desktop App Integration for 1Password X. :+1:

Ben

• bombask
    bombask
    Community Member

I thought I was going crazy, one day there was fingerprint support, then the next it disappeared. Fingerprint support in the browser was soooo nice in the beta, happy to hear it's being worked on for the future.
    I've switched to "1Password extension (desktop app required)" which works with fingerprints too, but is a little slow to show at times.

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

@bombask:

The "1Password extension (desktop app required)" is the right extension for the moment if you want fingerprint support, until our developers add this feature back to 1Password X. The good thing is that you often should not even need to show this extension, you can do a lot of things with the Cmd+\ keyboard shortcut :)

• bombask
    bombask
    Community Member

Thanks for the tip @ag_ana ! That is pretty sweet when theres just the 1 password for a site.

• On behalf of Ana, you're welcome.

This discussion has been closed.