Changed my 1P master password, now I have screwed up both my 19,1 iMac 10.15.6 & my iPad Pro iOS13.6

Options
blackxacto
blackxacto
Community Member

How the heck do I get back where both devices recognize the same signing password?

1Password Version: 7.6
Extension Version: 7.6
OS Version: 10.15.6
Sync Type: iCloud

Comments

• blackxacto
    blackxacto
    Community Member
    Options

The iPad Pro recognizes my face. But I can't add my backup account vault, as my password does not work to add from the iCloud.
    Is there some complete manual to start all over and get my vault back on the two devices?
    This is so damn complicated!

• blackxacto
    blackxacto
    Community Member
    Options

Wheres the instructions to start completely over and get my vault from iCloud backup?

• blackxacto
    blackxacto
    Community Member
    Options

Is 1Password asking me for my sign in to Apple iCloud, or 1P? None of the sign in to 1Password works any longer. What the heck happened?

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @blackxacto!

Before we try anything, can you let us know what you did to end up in this situation? Do you remember the steps you followed?

• blackxacto
    blackxacto
    Community Member
    edited August 2020
    Options

I changed my master password because it was only 4 letters and watchtower kept warning me.
    I used AppCleaner to remove every file and folder for 1P on my iMac.
    I tried to download and install once again. I used my emergency kit to try to copy my main data. I try to sign in w my password. NOTHING WORKS.

• blackxacto
    blackxacto
    Community Member
    Options

This would be easier if i just called in. This forum will take all nite.

• blackxacto
    blackxacto
    Community Member
    Options

My iPad signs me into 1Password. But when I go to add my VAULT I am asked for a master password. NOTHING WORKS.

• blackxacto
    blackxacto
    Community Member
    Options

Are you still there?

• blackxacto
    blackxacto
    Community Member
    Options

Thank God Safari helps w my passwords and this complex app doesn't leave me high and dry.

• blackxacto
    blackxacto
    Community Member
    Options

That's great, You contacted me over an hour ago, and nothing. great

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@blackxacto:

This is not a chat, it's a public forum. While we try to reply to every message as soon as possible, we cannot offer real time communication. Thank you for your understanding!

I have a question for you: are you able to login to your 1Password account on the 1Password.com website in a browser?

• blackxacto
    blackxacto
    Community Member
    Options

Ive never signed into 1p that way. I bought 1p as an app.

• blackxacto
    blackxacto
    Community Member
    Options

I can sign into 1p, i just cant add my vault for some reason. Filling in my emergency kit, does not work

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@blackxacto:

Thank you for the confirmation. From what you wrote, it sounds like you chose two different Master Passwords, one for your iCloud vault and one for your 1Password.com account (for which you have an Emergency Kit). If the password you know is not accepted, it means that the vault you are trying to add is using a different Master Password that you chose.

There might be a simpler way to fix this however: if you have a 1Password account, sync is automatic through the account, you don't need to use iCloud anymore. Is there a specific reason why you are trying to add an iCloud vault to the app? Do you have items there that you would like to recover?

• blackxacto
    blackxacto
    Community Member
    Options

I just thought that is what i am suppose to do, add the vault. You mean i dont have to add a vault? I dont understand how i chose a different password for a vault. I only use one vault. That is all i have ever made.

• blackxacto
    blackxacto
    Community Member
    Options

Why is my emergency kit useless now?

• blackxacto
    blackxacto
    Community Member
    Options

So i dont have to sync w any service except using 1p?

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@blackxacto:

I just thought that is what i am suppose to do, add the vault. You mean i dont have to add a vault?

If your data is inside your 1Password.com account already, there is no need to add additional vaults that are stored in iCloud, that's correct.

I dont understand how i chose a different password for a vault. I only use one vault. That is all i have ever made.

Since you have an Emergency Kit, it means that you have a 1Password account with a vault. But now you are saying that you were trying to add a vault that is stored on iCloud, which means that you either have two vaults after all, or that you thought your vault was on iCloud, even though there is nothing there.

Why is my emergency kit useless now?

Can you clarify how your Emergency Kit is useless now?

So i dont have to sync w any service except using 1p?

Correct!

• blackxacto
    blackxacto
    Community Member
    Options

I opened 1P on my iMac 10.15.6. I go to an item I have had for along time. I want to edit this item, both username and password. I click EDIT. Now I am presented w a dialogue, instead of 1P just letting me edit the item. Why am I presented with a window involving signing into 1P with a secret key. I never used to use this secret key? If I signed into 1P originally, why can't I just change the item username and password?

• blackxacto
    blackxacto
    Community Member
    Options

Do I have to have a monthly fee based account now w 1P7? I didn't used to.

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@blackxacto:

Why am I presented with a window involving signing into 1P with a secret key. I never used to use this secret key?

The Secret Key is required to login to your 1Password account if you have a 1Password Membership. If you do have a Secret Key, it means that you have a 1Password Membership already (which is paid with a subscription). You will only need to enter it the first time you configure 1Password on a new device though, so perhaps you only needed it once or twice in the past and haven't had to enter it for a while.

In any case, you can get your Secret Key from your Emergency Kit document you have:

Find your Secret Key or Setup Code

• blackxacto
    blackxacto
    Community Member
    Options

Why is it that I can sign into 1p on my iMac, but I cannot edit any of my saved items, they are all READ ONLY. 1P keeps asking me to ADD an account it found at 1P, but I have already signed into 1P successfully. If I try to ADD this account to my opened 1P on my iMac, it refuses to take my sign-in AGAIN. I can't sign in in this dialogue menu.

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@blackxacto:

I would like to ask you to generate a diagnostics report from this iMac and email it to us to support+forum@agilebits.com, so we can take a closer look at why this is happening to you.

After you have sent the email, please feel free to post the ticket number you received so we can locate your message and connect it with this forum discussion.

Looking forward to your message!

• blackxacto
    blackxacto
    Community Member
    Options

Did you get the report? I sent it. You know, we could have solved this hours ago, if you allowed phone calls support. This is a real crappy way to treat customers

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni
    edited August 2020
    Options

@blackxacto:

Did you get the report? I sent it.

Yes, thank you! :+1: Unfortunately we are not in a position to be able to offer phone support at the moment, but we are more than happy to help you for as long as necessary either here on the forum or via email.

So we don't duplicate the answers by replying to you in multiple places, someone will look at your diagnostics report and get back to your email as soon as possible.

Thank you for your patience!

ref: BMW-98616-456

• blackxacto
    blackxacto
    Community Member
    Options

I started to get help from Trace, but I haven't heard anymore from him, is anyone else available for my non+phone support?

• Ben
    Options

Trace will be in touch as soon as she can, @blackxacto. I'm sorry that we're not able to provide instantaneous support. We make every effort to respond to all messages in under 24 hours... often times much sooner than that. Now that you're in touch with Trace, and I see she is currently composing a reply to you, I'm going to close this thread to avoid duplicating efforts. Please continue to work with Trace via email so she can resolve this for you. Thanks!

Ben

This discussion has been closed.