What is the path to the actual ITEMs file from 1Password for Mac in Catalina 10.15.6?

blackxacto
blackxacto
Community Member

I make daily external backups of my main hard drive. I want to find the actual 326 ITEMs file that populated 1Password in any of my main hard drive backups. What is the path to this one file within my main hard drive backups? Does anyone know this path? I want to drag it from backups to 1Password on my main hard drive to replace the screwed up ITEMs list I have now.

1Password Version: 7.6
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: 10.15.6
Sync Type: 1Password

Comments

• blackxacto
    blackxacto
    Community Member

Nevermind

• Hi @blackxacto

Nevermind

I hope that means you were able to find the answer. :) Perhaps for the benefit of anyone else who might stumble across this thread... 1Password 7 for Mac stores its local cache of the database here:

/Library/Group Containers/2BUA8C4S2C.com.agilebits/Library/Application Support/1Password/Data

That said, restoring those files from a backup isn't likely to accomplish what you're looking to do. The next time 1Password connects to the internet whatever is there would be overwritten. If you're trying to go back in time our item history feature is more likely to be of help:

View and restore previous versions of items

Thanks!

Ben

• blackxacto
    blackxacto
    Community Member

Ben, I searched through several months of Time Machine backups, and external backups on the day before 1P situation. I stopped backups the day of 1P hangup.

Alas, 1P does not allow backups of the file we are speaking of. In all my drive backups, even Time Machine backups for months, 1P does not allow keeping the one ITEMS file from each day of backup. In all my backups, I only found 2 ITEMS files. Each were from the PRESENT main hard drive. Meaning 1P does not allow keeping daily recording ITEMS as they change over time. ONLY the PRESENT ITEM file is backed up, EVER. And if you screw with that file as I did by sync/overwriting incorrectly, there is no recovering ITEMs. But as I was into 24 hours trying to solve my issue w 1P and 1P forum "customer service", a situation that could have been solved within an hour of a customer service call, stretched over 24 hours on a forum conversation, left me no choice but to try figuring it out myself. Boy, did I find out.

• @blackxacto

Thanks for the update.

You are correct that Time Machine-type backups are going to be of limited value when it comes to 1Password data. All of 1Password's items are stored in a database, which will appear on your disk as a single encrypted file. There isn't a way to restore individual items using that method. Instead, 1Password has its own versioning and backup system, which you can read more about here.

I apologize for the turnaround time. That is something we're working on improving. We're currently hiring. If you know anyone who might be a good fit you may want to suggest that they apply. :)

Ben

• blackxacto
    blackxacto
    Community Member

Ben, the method restoring from TRASH, recovers only items in trash were items I trashed after the sync/disaster, nothing was in trash before. Do I have that right? 1P does not update its database from first installation, only from the beginning of syncing my 1P account? Recovering from the trash can only be accomplished for iTems after a sync. Do I have that correctly? I'm a little slow, just trying to explain what I am seeing.

• @blackxacto

I'm a little slow, just trying to explain what I am seeing.

No worries at all; we're happy to help.

Ben, the method restoring from TRASH, recovers only items in trash were items I trashed after the sync/disaster, nothing was in trash before.

An item does not need to be in the trash in order to restore a previous version of it, however it would've had to have been part of a membership-based vault when the change you want to revert was made. If the change was made to an item in a standalone vault then unfortunately this feature will not help, as it is a membership-only feature.

1P does not update its database from first installation, only from the beginning of syncing my 1P account?

I'm not sure I understand this question... could you please elaborate or rephrase?

Ben

• blackxacto
    blackxacto
    Community Member

Admit it's confusing writing out all this rather than speaking to you. I don't understand when Trace says that the items are recoverable, but I must use the previous vault I had with the Apple account I just closed, and the previous emergency kit, which I still have. If Trace is right, doesn't that mean that in your backups at 1P headquarters (not my 1P) under my Apple purchased account, using my emergency kit I didn't trash, I can get the ITEMs list from your backups? Man this is so confusing typing it out.

• Ben
    Ben
    edited September 2020

Sorry @blackxacto. I think some of the confusion may stem from trying to work with us through two different communications channels (here and email). It may make things easier to pick one or the other and stick with it? I would suggest clarifying any confusion about what Trace said with Trace. It appears she is in the process of composing an email to you right now. :+1: Let's continue there. Thanks.

Ben

This discussion has been closed.