What to do when 1Password doesn't recognize apps

IntlOrange
IntlOrange
Community Member

Let's say I have a login saved in 1Password. The login indicates a website, like example.com. Now say I install the iOS app, which is called Example App. I know that Example App uses the same credentials, but 1Password doesn't recognize that Example App and example.com are related. As a result, when I try to use the iOS keyboard's "Passwords" shortcut to fill passwords, I have to search for "example" every time and confirm that, yes, I really want to use that login. (This is a bit annoying for frequently used apps.)

Is there a way I can teach 1Password about a related iOS app, so it will just "know" which login to select for me?

Thanks!

1Password Version: 7.6.2
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: iOS 13.6.1
Sync Type: 1Password.com

Comments

• IntlOrange
    IntlOrange
    Community Member

To clarify, I'm not talking about using autofill for websites within iOS Safari. I'm talking about filling credentials into native iOS apps.

• @IntlOrange,

It is a little crazy that sometimes apps use a different internet domain name than their normal website, but some do. I know at least one movie theater (AMC) that did such a thing. I think your best option here is going to be to engage the 1Password autofill extension in that app's login field. After you unlock you should see a "Create Login" button, if the app is providing context to 1Password that information will show up there. In AMC's case it says "amc.film", which is most definitely not "amctheaters.com". If the app is providing that context you can add that url to your existing item as an additional url. In the future that item will then show up in the search and/or be available via the QuickType bar when you're using that app.

• IntlOrange
    IntlOrange
    Community Member

@rudy THANK YOU. I learned something new today. :)

Unfortunately when I tested your suggestion, it turns out the app in question does not provide that context to 1P. When I try “create login” the url field is empty.

Are we dependent on the app author to “provide context”? Can you point me to docs on how to do that? I can submit a feature request to the author. This is an app that millions of parents of school age kids are suddenly having to use every day. 🙃

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

@IntlOrange:

If I understood this correctly, using the associated domains feature in the app would solve the issue at its root.

• IntlOrange
    IntlOrange
    Community Member

@ag_ana Indeed, that is very helpful, thank you! I will relay to the app author. 🤞

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

You are very welcome @IntlOrange! I am glad I could help :)

If you have any other questions, please feel free to reach out anytime.

Have a wonderful day :)

This discussion has been closed.