Nonstop duo prompt

I have a personal, non-Duo account, as well as a Duo-secured account from work. Every couple of days the work account wants me to reauthenticate. This renders 1Password completely unusable until it’s done. 1Password keeps showing incessant duo prompts even after I’ve dismissed them.

For the love of god, can 1password fix this? It’s extremely annoying to drop everything and look for my 2fa device when in the middle of something else. This happens across iOS and the Mac apps.

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided
Referrer: forum-search:Duo

Comments

• ag_anaag_ana

Team Member

Hi @wonnage!

Every couple of days the work account wants me to reauthenticate.

The prompt is coming from Duo, right? It sounds like your team configured it this way (your admins can control this setting. I suggest you reach out to them if you think they should configure it in a different way :+1:

For the love of god, can 1password fix this?

Can you please elaborate? I am not sure I see an issue to fix: Duo is prompting you to authenticate regularly, as configured by your administrators? What would require fixing in this case?

• I get a native iOS pop-up that says "1Password wants to use 1password.com to log in". Tapping cancel just triggers another pop-up a second later. I don't think Duo is controlling this, they're being spawned by the 1password app as indicated by the pop-up.

What I want is for 1password to stop prompting me temporarily after tapping cancel, e.g until the next time the app is opened.

• ag_anaag_ana

Team Member

@wonnage:

I get a native iOS pop-up that says "1Password wants to use 1password.com to log in".

Would you be able to share a screenshot of this with us?

• edited September 5

Same situation and issue here. Makes app unusable on iOS.

• On 1password Desktop App. (macOS) Was greeted with same prompt. Accepted Duo Prompt and Desktop App continued to work normally. Followed up with attempting Duo Prompt on iOS again, app began working again as normal. Something with accepting a push on desktop app first caused Duo Push to work on iOS. Odd.

Hope the team continues to bring stability to products. Especially desktop integrations and TouchID integration. Quite unfortunate to lose the functionality with 1password X. Also plenty of crashes on desktop app past 4-5 weeks. :-/

• ag_anaag_ana

Team Member

Thank you for the screenshot @linux4life!

On 1password Desktop App. (macOS) Was greeted with same prompt. Accepted Duo Prompt and Desktop App continued to work normally. Followed up with attempting Duo Prompt on iOS again, app began working again as normal. Something with accepting a push on desktop app first caused Duo Push to work on iOS. Odd.

I am not sure if this was because you specifically accepted the prompt on Mac, I think it might be because you just accepted the prompt, regardless of the device. For example, the next time this happens, it would be good to know if accepting the prompt directly on iOS, instead of dismissing it, would also work.

Also plenty of crashes on desktop app past 4-5 weeks. :-/

We can take a look at this separately for sure. I would like to ask you to generate a diagnostics report from your Mac and email it to us to [email protected], so we can take a closer look at why this is happening to you.

After you have sent the email, please feel free to post the ticket number you received so we can locate your message and connect it with this forum discussion.

Looking forward to your message!

• I think it might be because you just accepted the prompt, regardless of the device. For example, the next time this happens, it would be good to know if accepting the prompt directly on iOS, instead of dismissing it, would also work.

Numerous prior attempts to accept on iOS were performed as OP mentions. The iOS app was useless until a Duo Prompt was accepted on desktop. The next accept on iOS was then successful, returning operability to iOS app. Hope this helps the Dev Team.

• ag_anaag_ana

Team Member

@linux4life:

Numerous prior attempts to accept on iOS were performed as OP mentions.

Op actually mentioned dismissing the prompt:

1Password keeps showing incessant duo prompts even after I’ve dismissed them.

And

Tapping cancel just triggers another pop-up a second later.

Which is why I thought this was why accepting it, even on another device, would explain the difference. But it sounds like you have been accepting them all along, so perhaps there is a difference in how you have been responding to these prompts.

• Thanks for clarifying. In past, those prompts could be dismissed and app continue to be used on mobile, just wouldn’t update items and vaults with 1p servers. This was preferred because if in a hurry or poor data signal, could obtain most data needed without having to complete a Duo push.

Yes, no matter how many times Duo Push accepted or cancelled on mobile, the app was not useable as pop-ups would re-appear within a second after accepting the push, or cancelling the dialog.

• BenBen AWS Team

Team Member

Thanks @linux4life. Are you able to reproduce this problem using the latest version of 1Password? There was a problem with the authentication looping as described but it was resolved in 1Password for iOS v7.6.2. Please let me know.

Ben

ref: dev/apple/issues#4894

• @Ben Issue was occurring on iOS 14 Beta 6 with 7.6.2. Will have to see if the problem reoccurs once another push from Duo is required.

• BenBen AWS Team

Team Member

Thanks; please keep us in the loop. :+1: Also, if you're going to run beta OS versions, you may want to consider using beta versions of 1Password as well, as we generally don't push fixes for beta OSes in stable releases of 1Password.

Use 1Password beta releases

This of course comes with the usual caveat emptor about betas, but since you're already on the OS betas I assume you're familiar. ;)

Ben

• I can’t seem to upload the screen recording, but here’s an iCloud link: https://share.icloud.com/photos/0ovlZhM7VxeWvUwfS9sEaWc6w

I’m on iOS 14, but this was happening prior to the upgrade as well (iOS 13.7).

• BenBen AWS Team

Team Member

Thanks @wonnage. Our business team is investigating further. We appreciate the video. Our current understanding is that it should be possible to hit cancel there and then use the app until taking an action that requires communication with the server which would then cause another prompt. But I can see from your video that no action is taken between prompts. We're going to try to reproduce this issue and then will follow up with our development team to see if our understanding is correct.

Ben

ref: /archives/CFRHP2K4Z/p1600689836008100

• BenBen AWS Team

Team Member

Another small update: our business team was able to reproduce the issue and I have filed a bug report with our development team. :+1:

Ben

ref: dev/apple/issues#5002

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file